Discussion topic: Sky stream recently installed. It freezes within a few minutes. My Broadband speed is 51.6mps.

This message was authored by Steve516 This message was authored by: Steve516

Sky stream recently installed. It freezes within a few minutes. My Broadband speed is 51.6mps.

Recently installed Sky stream. It freezes within a few minutes every time. I have tried Software update. My Broadband speed is 51.6mps and I have tried LAN wired connection. 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Sky stream recently installed. It freezes within a few minutes. My Broadband speed is 51.6mps.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Steve516  Are you connecting over wifi?  Open the netflix app on the stream puck and go to get help,  then run the speed test.

56mbps if you are using other devices for broadband usage may be a bit low.

However wifi may be the issue, you need a minimum of 25mbps for HD & 30mbps for UHD

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Steve516
Topic Author

Re: Sky stream recently installed. It freezes within a few minutes. My Broadband speed is 51.6mps.

I have tried wired connection and WiFi, both the same. Netflix shows 48mps speed. Netflix freezes rhrough sky stream but works perfectly as a stand alone app. 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Steve516  Marking a post as an answer indicates a post contains a solution to a discussion... that does not appear to be the case🤔

Exiled in HH
Steve516
Topic Author

Thanks for reply. Sorry I didn't understand the system. Not answered. 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Do you mean stand alone app on the Puck or on your Smart TV?

Did you successfully complete activation of the Puck?

Who is your ISP?

Exiled in HH
Steve516
Topic Author

Standalone on Smart TV. I have activated and reactivated the Puck including software download. My ISP is Sky. 

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Steve516 wrote:

Standalone on Smart TV. I have activated and reactivated the Puck including software download. My ISP is Sky. 

The difference between the Netflix app on your TV and the Netflix app on the Stream puck is that on your smart TV, the app is actually stored on your TV and runs from there. It just connects to Netflix's servers to stream the content you want to watch. 

With Sky Stream, none of the apps are stored on the puck - it is just a slave device. The apps are hosted on a Sky server and this then connects to Netflix's servers to stream the content to your puck. 

This causes some additional lag as there are two servers to deal with - Sky's and Netflix's, and this is why you need a constant fast and stable connection to your puck. If there is any speed fluctuation in your network connection (be it wired or on WiFi) the connection between Sky's server (where the app is hosted) and Netflix's server (where the content is streamed from) can be interrupted and cause freezing. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Steve516 wrote:

I have tried wired connection and WiFi, both the same. Netflix shows 48mps speed. Netflix freezes rhrough sky stream but works perfectly as a stand alone app. 

When you tried wired, did you disable the WiFi in the pucks settings? If you didn't it would have still been using the WiFi connection.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Steve516
Topic Author

Yes, I reinstalled from start again. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion