Discussion topic: BBC iplayer

PeeBeehy
Topic Author
This message was authored by PeeBeehy This message was authored by: PeeBeehy

Re: BBC iplayer

For House of Dragon I have the option for UHD and HD, no HDR

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@PeeBeehy wrote:

For House of Dragon I have the option for UHD and HD, no HDR

Therein lies the problem. The puck is not detecting that your TV is HLG HDR compatible. 

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

But on the Netflix app (via the puck)  HDR is on, so what does this mean?

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@PeeBeehy wrote:

But on the Netflix app (via the puck)  HDR is on, so what does this mean?

Netflix uses HDR10, not HLG. 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Netflix doesn't use HLG?

Exiled in HH

@PeeBeehy 

Check the HDMI settings on your TV. 

Make sure the HDMI Auto setting in the Setup menu is set to Mode 2.

Make sure the HDMI HDR setting is turned On.

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

I've checked the specs and my TV supports HLG (supposedly) so why is the puck not recognising this?

@PeeBeehy wrote:

I've checked the specs and my TV supports HLG (supposedly) so why is the puck not recognising this?

After you've checked the HDMI settings in my post above yours, reboot both the puck and the TV to re-engage the HDMI handshake - turn both off at the wall for a minute, then power back on. See if that fixes it. 

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

I've checked all those setting on the TV, they are set as you suggest and rebooted etc, but still not working...

PB 

@PeeBeehy wrote:

I've checked all those setting on the TV, they are set as you suggest and rebooted etc, but still not working...

PB 

Not sure what else to suggest then I'm afraid. I have a more recent Panasonic model of TV and my puck worked fine with those HDMI settings and gave HLG HDR without issue.

Have you checked the firmware of the TV is up to date? It may be that it can only produce HLG HDR from the on-board apps and not via HDMI attached devices. 

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

Oh well, thanks for the advice - if I want UHD for iPlayer I guess I'll just have to go via the TV app...

PB

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@lettice wrote:

I see above, you mention you can play Uhd in Sky cinema content.

So, basically that proves you are connecting the puck by HLG ok.

Do a voice search for 'uhd' and select something from Sky Atlantic, like The Tattooist or House of the Dragon.

The episode will show UHD and HDR under  the title if you have HLG for the puck set correctly.

Play one of those and see if it plays out the hdr version.

Not necessarily, it just means they can view UHD content which is not the same as HLG. 

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

I'm just wondering if the pass through via the soundbar could be causing the loss of HLG?

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

@PeeBeehy wrote:

Being a 2016 model, the tv probably supports HLG for internal apps only and not over hdmi hence why you can only view UHD content without HDR/HLG via Sky Stream. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PeeBeehy 

As @Dazzasky indicates, 2016 is very early for HDR adoption: the first standard was only ratified in that year, which is why the original Sky Q boxes don't do HDR at all.  It would be very likely a television released then is going to be limited in what it can do.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion