Discussion topic: BBC iplayer

This message was authored by PeeBeehy This message was authored by: PeeBeehy

BBC iplayer

Hi - my Sky stream puck only seems to play BBC iPlayer at HD for some reason. My TV supports 4K and I get UHD on other channels and apps, so I'm a bit baffled. I have reset and refeshed apps etc, but no luck.

The iplayer application version is 32.37.5.0

An help much appreciated.

PB

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: BBC iplayer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PeeBeehy  Are you actually selecting UHD content on the iPlayer?   It would be flagged as UHD.

In addition have you set the puck to 2160p in the settings menu?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

Hi, yes I'm trying to watch UHD content and as I said I've got puck settings to UHD. It seems to be a particular problem I'm having with iPlayer.

Any other suggestions,?

PB

@PeeBeehy  What happens when you try to play UHD content?

What speed is your puck getting?  Open the netflix app and go to Get Help, then run the speed test.

Anything less than 25mbps for HD & 35mbps for UHD will cause you issues.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

I can play UHD content on Sky Cinema, TNT, Netflix etc without any problems. What I'm saying is that for some reason the iPlayer app on my puck does not even give me the option of UHD, it delivers in 1080p only. That's what I want to change. I have refreshed apps etc, but it still does not give me UHD.

PB

@PeeBeehy  Open the iPayer app on stream, go to settings after logging in, select video control, check Best Quality is set to On.

Then scroll down underneather to iPlyer Beta, if it is off try toggling to On, 

This should allow UHD content to appear, you should see for example Wimbledon UHD on the iPlayer home page.

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

@PeeBeehy wrote:

Hi - my Sky stream puck only seems to play BBC iPlayer at HD for some reason. My TV supports 4K and I get UHD on other channels and apps, so I'm a bit baffled. I have reset and refeshed apps etc, but no luck.

The iplayer application version is 32.37.5.0

An help much appreciated.

PB

Does your tv support HLG? That is needed to view the UHD content in BBC IPlayer @PeeBeehy 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Within iPlayer, the only court offered in UHD is the centre court.

From the iPlayer Home Screen, it should be showing Wimbledon content up front, select View All

Scroll down to the second rail, where you will see the centre court match tile with UHD on it.

Try searching within iPlayer with 'uhd' it will show quite a few programmes available in uhd.

If you go to 101, wait a few seconds and you will see the red button prompt to go to the uhd stream.

This will launch iPlayer with the centre court UHD stream.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

@GD1 wrote:

@PeeBeehy  

Then scroll down underneather to iPlyer Beta, if it is off try toggling to On, 

You do not need iPlayer beta turned on for UHD content.

That was only needed a few years ago, when the BBC did their selective audience tests.

It is available to all iPlayer users now.

IPlayer beta is currently not pushing out anything of note at the moment to users. So, unless you are asked ( device issues or new devices) no need to have it on.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@PeeBeehy What's your TV' s model name?

Exiled in HH
PeeBeehy
Topic Author

It's a Panasonic TX-40DX700B. 

In the TV's built in apps I can access BBC iPlayer in UHD, but via the sky puck it only works in 1080p which is why I am so baffled by this...

PB

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@PeeBeehy wrote:

It's a Panasonic TX-40DX700B. 

In the TV's built in apps I can access BBC iPlayer in UHD, but via the sky puck it only works in 1080p which is why I am so baffled by this...

PB

Make sure you have the puck connected to an HDMI port on the TV which supports HDR. That's a 2016 model so has fewer options available: 

The TX-40DX700B comes with three HDMI inputs, two of which support HDCP 2.2 for 4K and HDR 

PeeBeehy
Topic Author

It is connected to the right HDMI port and I recieve UHD on other puck apps - all except for iPlayer. Any other ideas...

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@PeeBeehy wrote:

It is connected to the right HDMI port and I recieve UHD on other puck apps - all except for iPlayer. Any other ideas...

Yes, but do you receive HDR from other puck apps? UHD content on iPlayer is HLG HDR encoded and if the puck doesn't detect an HLG compatible TV it won't offer the UHD versions of iPlayer content. 

I see above, you mention you can play Uhd in Sky cinema content.

So, basically that proves you are connecting the puck by HLG ok.

Do a voice search for 'uhd' and select something from Sky Atlantic, like The Tattooist or House of the Dragon.

The episode will show UHD and HDR under  the title if you have HLG for the puck set correctly.

Play one of those and see if it plays out the hdr version.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion