Discussion topic: Apple TV+ Dolby Vision

This message was authored by Neil.H This message was authored by: Neil.H

Apple TV+ Dolby Vision

Has anyone else noticed a bug in the Apple TV+ app, on Stream, where the content isn't shown in Dolby Vision?  It barely looks HD. A reboot seems to fix it for a day, other DV content from Netflix and Disney works fine all the time, even when Apple isn't working. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Re: Apple TV+ Dolby Vision

I have this issue with AppleTV on Sky Puck... I think AppleTV detects that the Puck supports Dolby Vision but my TV doesn't support it so the TV basically gets confused. It doesn't happen on any other streaming service so I think it's more to do with AppleTV defaulting to the highest available output on the Puck rather than the TV. This doesn't cause me and issue because I prefer to use the apps built into the TV anyway...

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Neil.H 

I don't use the third party apps on my puck partly due to this. The AppleTV+ app does output Dolby Vision to my Panasonic TV but it takes so long to buffer up to full 4K resolution that it gets very irritating. It often gets 'stuck' at a lower resolution too which makes the whole experience pointless. 

This message was authored by USAStacy This message was authored by: USAStacy

I'm having this problem too. I have an LG OLED tv and Sky Stream Puck. 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@USAStacy wrote:

I'm having this problem too. I have an LG OLED tv and Sky Stream Puck. 

Try a better spec HDMI 2.1 cable (about £8-£10 on Amazon for a certified one) - this can help with the higher bandwidth Dolby Vision requires from the Apple TV+ app. 

Otherwise, if you have the Apple TV+ app on your LG OLED just use it. 

This message was authored by USAStacy This message was authored by: USAStacy

I already have high output hdmi cables but thanks

This message was authored by trevforum This message was authored by: trevforum

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Check that you don't have "Limit Playback to SD" in the ATV+ settings.  Also, you can run the "Video Troubleshhoting" to see if that flags any problems.  I only have an HDR10 TV but that works OK.

——————————————————-
Sky Stream, Sky Glass, Panasonic DX902, Pioneer LX-901 7.1.4

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion