Discussion topic: Alternatives to stream

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Re: Alternatives to stream

@Nigelb1972 The Apple box supplied will not be EE branded, it is a standard box, the only thing branded is the remote that has a dedicated EE button, which will take you directly in to the app. They are talking nonsense on the BT forum. There are no rights issues. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

It seems to be that if you're using a Pro Box, Freeview will be via multicast and only work on BT/EE broadband but if you use the EE TV app, they'll be unicast. Be interesting if they're going to implement some kind of "recording" system on the AppleTV box like the playlist facility on Sky Stream. To me it sounds like another BT Group flip up...The Pro Box itself was a solid piece of hardware let down by very poor software 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

There won't be a recording system, as the Apple box has no hard drive. Unless they have a cloud facility. Playlist is possible but only for linear channels within the app. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason+Golding wrote:

@Nigelb1972 The Apple box supplied will not be EE branded, it is a standard box, the only thing branded is the remote that has a dedicated EE button, which will take you directly in to the app. They are talking nonsense on the BT forum. There are no rights issues. 

Seeing as the person who posted about the rights on the BT community and what EE can and can't do in the app on an Apple TV box, is a BT dev who worked on the project, I think I will believe him if that's OK?

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by Gincap This message was authored by: Gincap

@Jason+Golding wrote:

@Gincap The Apple TV box that EE provide will be standard but have an adapted remote with a dedicated button for direct access to the EE app. There is a clear advantage here as the app will provide all linear channels, basic and premium through a tv guide. 

True but that is already available on Apple TV using TV launcher and the many apps available. I see no reason to contract with EE when most agree not all channels are already available and work with the excellent Apple Up Next rail, unless users want the niche channels like That's TV etc. something I personally never use. 

@stereohaven Evening. What is it that I have said that you disagree with ? 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@Gincap Tv launcher app is simply as it says a launcher (it effectively launches apps to play a live stream), a conduit to different apps, very different to a fully integrated EPG with instant access to linear channels 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@Jason+Golding wrote:

@stereohaven Evening. What is it that I have said that you disagree with ? 

This bit:

@Jason+Golding wrote:

They are talking nonsense on the BT forum. There are no rights issues. 

Everything available now via IP delivery on a BT Pro box will be in the new EE app, but only if you buy the Apple TV box via EE.

You will be able to add the new app to your own Apple TV box, but the range of channels will be limited due to rights agreements.

As @Gincap says, whether or not this is worth a 2 year contract is going to be in the eye of beholder because you can buy almost all the content they offer and run TV Launcher for a similar experience.

@stereohaven so I understand what you are saying is that if a customer purchases the Apple TV box via EE using the EE app - there are no rights issues. If the customer decides to use their own Apple TV box and add the EE app there will be rights issues? Is that right ? 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@Jason+Golding That is what the dev was saying, and remember, you can only get the app to work on an EE broadband line, this isn't ISP agnostic like Stream.

The live TV in the app is delivered using multicast, just like the BT TV Pro box uses, not unicast like Sky use (so it works with any ISP).

@stereohaven I just don't see how that would work when negotiating rights with the rights holders. However, I stand to be corrected. Do we know for sure that the EE app will only work with EE broadband? 

As an example I am a EE mobile customer, but not broadband, would they not want the commercial opportunity to upsell their tv service to me without broadband ? Totally accept that the BT/EE pro box will only work with EE, but technically I don't see how they can lock the EE app within an Apple TV box to work with EE broadband only.  Surely if the Apple TV box is connected to WiFi it will be operable on all apps including EE. I do not know of a single app on the Apple TV echo system that is locked down to the use of a particular ISP

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

As I said, the information provided by the dev who has been working on it is this offering uses the same multicast streams as the box, therefore you will need EE broadband to get access. 

This is confirmed by people that were at the launch like Cordbusters.

You will be able to do your own checks tomorrow when it all launches.  

This message was authored by Gincap This message was authored by: Gincap

@Jason+Golding wrote:

@Gincap Tv launcher app is simply as it says a launcher (it effectively launches apps to play a live stream), a conduit to different apps, very different to a fully integrated EPG with instant access to linear channels 

I understand that but why pay EE in a fixed contract when you can easily do it yourself. In the old days of a switch from 4 channels to satellite and multi channel I can understand why viewers went with a provider, no choice. But these days you don't have to do that. DIY so easy, no long term contracts and save money. 

yeah I know it's not the same but horses for courses as somebody says. 

@stereohavenwith the EE tv service on the Apple TV box - my thoughts are that it is tied in to you using EE broadband but everyone will be able to download the EE app. However to use the app you will require the relevant permissions ie a log in. The log in will only be available to EE broadband/tv holders. That's different to the EE/BT box and Virgin stream boxes that will only work with their respective isp 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@Gincap with respect you are looking at it from a geeky perspective like me ! The tv launcher app is far too clunky - requiring multiple log ins for linear viewing. It's an app that provides a workable route for those with some technical interest and ability. Your average Mr and Mrs Jones of Acacia Avenue will not be using tv launcher. EE have around 25 million customers - they need a mass market solution. A dedicated app, with dedicated app button access on the remote, provides this. What I don't really understand is why EE are offering two options for their tv delivery. I suspect the EE/BT pro box will eventually be phased out. From a mobile telecomms perspective EE (BT) and Apple have a very close relationship. As an example Ee are the only mobile network to offer Apple One subscription within some of their plans. They have dedicated Apple mobile plans. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion