Discussion topic: Why am I getting two boxes , one wired/one wireless when upgrading to Sky Q.

This message was authored by JGD50 This message was authored by: JGD50

Why am I getting two boxes , one wired/one wireless when upgrading to Sky Q.

I am upgrading the old sky box to Sky Q because my old controller is broken and they said they no longer replace these controllers. I have been told that there will be two boxes - one wireless and one wired. Why two - my son-in-law has Sky Q but only one box.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Why am I getting two boxes , one wired/one wireless when upgrading to Sky Q.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JGD50 wrote:

I am upgrading the old sky box to Sky Q because my old controller is broken and they said they no longer replace these controllers. I have been told that there will be two boxes - one wireless and one wired. Why two - my son-in-law has Sky Q but only one box.

Hi @JGD50 

Looks like you will have One main Q box and one mini and a Monthly Multiscreen subscription.

You can have up to four minis installed on loan each subject to a one off upfront charge and all under by one single Q monthly Multiscreen subscription
However only two minis can be used simultaneously on all 2 TB boxes and the 1 TB UHD Main boxes to watch Sky Q content.
The original 1 TB non UHD box (32Cxxx) only permits the use of one mini at a time.
If Sky Apps are already being used on some of the minis these will not normally be counted as in Q use and therefore can be used in addition to the above limits.
See the following link for the Versions of main Q box referred to above.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates.
Subject to the above limits Sky Q minis can be used completely independently of the main Q box and the same or different program or recording can be viewed on each Q box. Even if viewing the same content it is completely independent and can be viewed at the same or different point.
Minis can do all the features same as the main Q box and can set or delete recordings on the main Q box hard drive. There is one single storage area on the main Q box with no profiles and no indication of which Q box has set a recording. (Unlike Sky+HD Multiroom which has independent storage and planners).
It should also be remembered that minis cannot view UHD recordings or content.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Why am I getting two boxes , one wired/one wireless when upgrading to Sky Q.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JGD50 wrote:

Hi @JGD50 

Looks like you will have One main Q box and one mini and a Monthly Multiscreen subscription.

You can have up to four minis installed on loan each subject to a one off upfront charge and all under by one single Q monthly Multiscreen subscription
However only two minis can be used simultaneously on all 2 TB boxes and the 1 TB UHD Main boxes to watch Sky Q content.
The original 1 TB non UHD box (32Cxxx) only permits the use of one mini at a time.
If Sky Apps are already being used on some of the minis these will not normally be counted as in Q use and therefore can be used in addition to the above limits.
See the following link for the Versions of main Q box referred to above.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates.
Subject to the above limits Sky Q minis can be used completely independently of the main Q box and the same or different program or recording can be viewed on each Q box. Even if viewing the same content it is completely independent and can be viewed at the same or different point.
Minis can do all the features same as the main Q box and can set or delete recordings on the main Q box hard drive. There is one single storage area on the main Q box with no profiles and no indication of which Q box has set a recording. (Unlike Sky+HD Multiroom which has independent storage and planners).
It should also be remembered that minis cannot view UHD recordings or content.

JGD50
Topic Author
This message was authored by JGD50 This message was authored by: JGD50

Thanks for your kind reply. It turned out that they had made a mistake with the order. The engineer did turn up with a Sky Q box and a Mini box but on contacting Sky I was able to confirm that I did not request, nor did I have, a multi-room subscription so they only installed th Sky Q box. Everything is working perfectly.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion