Discussion topic: Weak Connection between Sky Q and Sky Q Mini

This message was authored by CostaTheDog This message was authored by: CostaTheDog

Weak Connection between Sky Q and Sky Q Mini

Hi all, hopefully someone can help me. I have recently converted an old shipping container in my garden into a bar and have installed a TV on the wall with Sky Q Mini. I get WiFi signal in the container and have connected the Mini (same router as my main Sky Q Box) however it only lasts for about a minute and then gives an error message saying the network has disconected. I presume the signal isn't strong enough? I have a TP LINK wireless extender that I am yet to install but not sure this will help me with this as I think both the main box and my mini need to be on the same wireless network?

The distance from the main box / router to the mini box is about 15 metres, however there are two walls between and the container within the plaster work of the second wall.

I have booked an engineer for next week. Does anyone know how they might sort the connection issues between the two boxes and what I could try in the meantime? 

All Replies

This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman

Re: Weak Connection between Sky Q and Sky Q Mini

If there's an engineer coming it's probably best not to waste too much effort or expense. They may look at a booster depending on physical distances involved.

Since you have it already I would give the WiFi extender a shot. With some trickery you may be able to use it to connect on the 2.4 GHz band and then wire it to the mini ( this has made the massive assumption that it's the kind of WiFi extender that can be setup as an access point).

CostaTheDog
Topic Author
This message was authored by CostaTheDog This message was authored by: CostaTheDog

@ftballman I managed to work out the WiFi extender and get it in access point mode but it didn't help me, I think the signal was still too weak.

Hoping the engineer knows how to resolve this for me! Thanks for the help anyway, I will have to be patient and wait! 

This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman

That's the worry. If the WiFi to the room is poor, it's poor. Something to keep in mind is powerline. Again definitely not fool proof and very dependent on how it's all wired but at least worth keeping in mind.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion