Discussion topic: Want to buy a second dish and LNB for the caravan.

This message was authored by R-M-H This message was authored by: R-M-H

Want to buy a second dish and LNB for the caravan.

So we currently have a 1T Sky Q box at home.

(I also still have my previous sky box somewhere.)

We want to take the box with us on holiday and I therefore need to buy a small dish suitable for the caravan with the correct LNB for Sky Q.

I know the LNB is different, as when fitted the engineer explained that it needed both cables from the LNB connected directly to the box. (The previous system only needed 1 cable to work)

So what would be my best option?

Which new dish and LNB   OR

Could I use my old Sky box (if it still works) 

Would the card we have work in it?  (I dont think the card changed, when the new box was fitted)

Would still need to buy a dish and LNB for it.  Our Caravan TV is an AVTEX that does have a built in SAT function (single cable in).

Which would be the best way forwards please?

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Want to buy a second dish and LNB for the caravan.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @R-M-H 

We should advise that use of SKY Q boxes / card away from the registered address is against the T&Cs

The old box might work as a freesat receiver  (i.e. watch live only and only the free to air channels such as BBC, ITV etc) - once the account is switched to SKY Q the card  will no longer work on SKY HD/+. 

SKY Q boxes do not use a different dish just a different 'wideband' LNB which indeed use 2 cables - one for the Vertically polarised channels and one for the horizontal ones

The official option for SKy away from home is SKY Go on various devices such as Tablets or even a laptop  & some games boxes - I am not up to speed as to which 

P.S. The Wideband LNBs use different frequencies to the old Universal LNB so the relatively cheap basic Sat finder gadgets, that I think many people used with the Universal LNBs, won't work with them & Sat Meters equally need to be able to handle the Wideband frequency signals, so setup of wideband LNBs is likely to be far more difficult

R-M-H
Topic Author

Congrats on that @nigea99  I was not up to speed with the T&Cs.

In that case I think my best option is to check Sky Go more thouroughly.

I do have it. Not sure if I can download to a device and watch later????

The biggest issue is that where we are going, is in a valley and phone signal is poor.

So streaming often fails or you have constant buffering.

I can buy their wi fi, but in two weeks I could have bought myself a dish and LNB.

I have already dug out our old DVD player and my local charity shop sells DVDs 5 for £1.

After watching they get exchanged on the DVD swap shelf, next to the book swap shelf at the sites.

I think a small dish and single LNB will do the job. The AVTEX TV can record to a USB stick and has its own Sat decoder anyway. Also I may play with my old Sky box as I have a few days yet. I know it will work as a freesat box. Do you know it it can still record and playback?

Many thanks again, I know what I am doing now.

@R-M-H wrote:

Congrats on that @nigea99  I was not up to speed with the T&Cs.

In that case I think my best option is to check Sky Go more thouroughly.

I do have it. Not sure if I can download to a device and watch later????

The biggest issue is that where we are going, is in a valley and phone signal is poor.

So streaming often fails or you have constant buffering.

I can buy their wi fi, but in two weeks I could have bought myself a dish and LNB.

I have already dug out our old DVD player and my local charity shop sells DVDs 5 for £1.

After watching they get exchanged on the DVD swap shelf, next to the book swap shelf at the sites.

I think a small dish and single LNB will do the job. The AVTEX TV can record to a USB stick and has its own Sat decoder anyway. Also I may play with my old Sky box as I have a few days yet. I know it will work as a freesat box. Do you know it it can still record and playback?

Many thanks again, I know what I am doing now.

hi @R-M-H 

I will be honest SKY Go is not my forte - you might want to read posts  in the dedicated group. 

I know for accessing recordings on the SKY Q box & downloadiing those  before you leave you need the multiroom add on (if you have a SKY Mini you will have this)  but you might be able to download some stuff without accessing the sepecific recordings on your Q box - as I say I am not an expert on this

The record / playback functionality on SKY HD boxes needs an active card / subscription - which is why I referred to   watch live

R-M-H
Topic Author

@nigea99   Very good point.

Just going to stay away from that and keep it simple.

I am a DIY kind of guy and looking I will need to sort a small tripod. Maybe just take the old Camera tri pod.  When we lived in France I set up the wideband LNB and dish, just using a compass and angle and playing around. It was a bungalow and the dish was in the garden, at ground level. Kids used to go nuts when I put a tin pot over the LNB when they were watching TV.

I also put up a dish on my last house and used a sat meter. That was just for Freesat as that TV at the time also had a sat card in it.

Regards

@R-M-H 

I presume you meant Universal LNB

I have never set up away from home but in the old days managed to set up non SKY kit using the in built signal condition meters  and a portable TV using a long  RF cable  although to set up my latest Multisat dish I did get a proper meter

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion