Discussion topic: Using an AEI HDMI Digisender with the SKYQ Box

This message was authored by michaelH0903 This message was authored by: michaelH0903

Using an AEI HDMI Digisender with the SKYQ Box

Hi..I am currently running a Sky+HD box with an AEI Digisender unit connected,the Digisender sends signal to a receiver in an upstairs bedroom which is attached by HDMI to a TV I can change channels or turn the Sky+HD box off and on using my Sky+HD remote control in the Bedroom.The system works well as it uses a Magic Infra red eye which connected to the AEI HDMi Transmitter,and the Magic eye sits in front of the Infra red senser on the SKY+HD Box.

Sky are actively encouraging Sky+HD box users to upgrade to the SKYQ box at no extra cost with no instalation fees.I wish to contnue using my AEI HDMI Digisender unit and Magic eye sensor,as I do not want to rent a sky mini box.

Can any one advise me whether I can use my AEI Digisender Digisender with the SKYQ system in the same way as i have been using it with the SKY+HD box? Any advice would be appreciated  Michael..PS I am out of contract with Sky at the time of writing and would have to sign up for a new 18 month contract if i wish to upgrade.

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Using an AEI HDMI Digisender with the SKYQ Box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

There's no RF on Q - so the magic eye doesn't work.

HDMI extenders for Q are notoriously difficult to get working, especially UHD (as it's 2160p/50).  It will depend on the spec of your particular sender as it needs to fully support HDCP and the resolution you plan to run.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
michaelH0903
Topic Author
This message was authored by michaelH0903 This message was authored by: michaelH0903

Thank you for your advice,i have heeded it and  havecancelled my sky contract to upgrade to skyq.I will stay with my sky+hd box for another 18 months..Michael

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@michaelH0903 Had you already agreed to the Sky Q upgrade?

If so, another possible issue could be on the horizon. There have been reports on here in the past where the process to cancel the existing viewing card still continues. Look out for a new Sky Q viewing card arriving and hang onto it in case your existing viewing card gets canceled. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
michaelH0903
Topic Author

Hi Thanks for your reply.I have actually cancelled the Upgrade to SkyQ because I discovered that as SkyQ does not have RF,I would not be able to use my Digisender equipment with it?I will coninue with Sky+HD box for the time being  Michael

This message was authored by Rosiebabe1975 This message was authored by: Rosiebabe1975

Hi.

I'm just wondering if you have had anything from sky about them no longer supporting  sky+ box issue's.

I use a TV signal sender myself and do not want the Q for the same reason. It appears from an email I received that no more software updates will be provided. I can no longer record BBC 1. 

I'm just wondering if a HDMI splitter then convert 1 split to the appropriate connection for the TV signal would work.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rosiebabe1975 wrote:

It appears from an email I received that no more software updates will be provided.

That's something of a red herring from Sky: there haven't been any updates for Sky+ for a considerable time, which isn't surprising given boxes were last manufactured in 2015.

A Sky+ HD box should continue to function for live viewing, recording, playback and on-demand.  Some interactive functions may cease.

I can no longer record BBC 1. 

This hasn't been reported elsewhere, and isn't related to the above.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion