Discussion topic: Thinking switching to Sky Q but concerns re another ISP

This message was authored by JayJayboy This message was authored by: JayJayboy

Thinking switching to Sky Q but concerns re another ISP

So I am tangling my toe in the water regarding Sky Q!!!

So like many Sky + and Sky HD we had letter and e mail about moving Sky Q re not supporting update our present Sky package with the 2 older boxes we have.   We decided to wait a while and see what we made of SKY Q  as we knew we would be using it soon!!

Frankly I made the most of trying to master Sky Q while staying in Holiday Cottage recently (plus had mini in  2 bedrooms).  Some likes and some negatives, which I would post about again - for now it is about having BT 0r EE ( bill now EE yet Hub BT) broadband and how that works with Sky Q.

At present (and over the years) no problem with compatability and good signal strength on both the SKY HD and  Sky+ HD, downloads are quick with HD and  fast if SD.   I am not a techie and am lost with some querys already posted on here around SKY Q and other ISP.

The property is single storey and BT Hub ( Full Fibre 74) is a one end property and signal reaches the farthest bedroom that has the old box used as multiroom.  We have had very few problems over the years, but last time we were told that we could not receive  discounts on the older equpment and I wonder if soon that will apply to or other box.

So for now I want to get my head around the broaddband and SKY Q query if you can advise.

Many thanks

J

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Thinking switching to Sky Q but concerns re another ISP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JayJayboy wrote:

So I am tangling my toe in the water regarding Sky Q!!!

So like many Sky + and Sky HD we had letter and e mail about moving Sky Q re not supporting update our present Sky package with the 2 older boxes we have.   We decided to wait a while and see what we made of SKY Q  as we knew we would be using it soon!!

Frankly I made the most of trying to master Sky Q while staying in Holiday Cottage recently (plus had mini in  2 bedrooms).  Some likes and some negatives, which I would post about again - for now it is about having BT 0r EE ( bill now EE yet Hub BT) broadband and how that works with Sky Q.

At present (and over the years) no problem with compatability and good signal strength on both the SKY HD and  Sky+ HD, downloads are quick with HD and  fast if SD.   I am not a techie and am lost with some querys already posted on here around SKY Q and other ISP.

The property is single storey and BT Hub ( Full Fibre 74) is a one end property and signal reaches the farthest bedroom that has the old box used as multiroom.  We have had very few problems over the years, but last time we were told that we could not receive  discounts on the older equpment and I wonder if soon that will apply to or other box.

So for now I want to get my head around the broaddband and SKY Q query if you can advise.

Many thanks

hi @JayJayboy 

when your ISP is not SKY then the key thing to note is that the minis do not use your wifi but instead a wifi signal generated by the main box - so it depends on the signal from your main box reaching the minis

Alternatively they can be linked by ethernet.

Many customers have BT (& now EE) with no problems.

I had BT & now EE full fibre and my main box is connected to the router via ethernet (as the cable was already there from my old SKY HD box) and I have a mini in my bedroom  using the wifi generated by the main box (I have had Q now for 7 years)

You already know a bit about SKY Q but you may still wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

JayJayboy
Topic Author

Thank you for this - the ethernet cable to the second bedroom is a concern.  BT installed new fibre and digital phones by using the nearest point of entry ie through wall in bottom lounge ( something about fibre not bending and signal reduced by that) - prior it was in hall (so central) but both the two engineers insisted could not be done.

We estimate that ethernet cable would be about 10 plus meters in length ( L shaped bungalow) hub is a top end and 3 rd tv is bottom.  Some more thinking needed.  

Thank you

J

@JayJayboy wrote:

Thank you for this - the ethernet cable to the second bedroom is a concern.  BT installed new fibre and digital phones by using the nearest point of entry ie through wall in bottom lounge ( something about fibre not bending and signal reduced by that) - prior it was in hall (so central) but both the two engineers insisted could not be done.

We estimate that ethernet cable would be about 10 plus meters in length ( L shaped bungalow) hub is a top end and 3 rd tv is bottom.  Some more thinking needed.  

Thank you

You may not need ethernet if the Main box  can connect to the Router via your wifi & the minis can get a good enough (closed wifi) signal from the main box 

JayJayboy
Topic Author

Thank you for this -  before moving forward we are going to ask the a neighbour who does ariel installation etc.  He understand layout of our property, see what he thinks.

Also looked at signal level on both Sky boxes and both ok.  So like you say maybe ok.

Just a quick question BT give booster disc for broadband, but do Sky do something to increase wifi signal from Q box to minis if there was low wifi signal.   We have 3 tv's and need 2 minis.  Also one of the TV is not a smart TV is that a problem for minis at moment it has a seperate little square box a Sky wireless connector.

Many thanks

J

@JayJayboy wrote:

Thank you for this -  before moving forward we are going to ask the a neighbour who does ariel installation etc.  He understand layout of our property, see what he thinks.

Also looked at signal level on both Sky boxes and both ok.  So like you say maybe ok.

Just a quick question BT give booster disc for broadband, but do Sky do something to increase wifi signal from Q box to minis if there was low wifi signal.   We have 3 tv's and need 2 minis.  Also one of the TV is not a smart TV is that a problem for minis at moment it has a seperate little square box a Sky wireless connector.

Many thanks

hi @JayJayboy 

I believe SKy can provide a booster if needed 

No TV needs to be a smart TV - for minis it helps if they have an HDMI input - although minis can work with older TVs that don't have HDMI inputs but need a 3rd party AV cable to do so

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JayJayboy wrote:

Some likes and some negatives, which I would post about again 

Perhaps be aware that Q is now eight years old and at the end of its development life, particularly with the cessation of satellite television transmission to the UK very much in sight and Sky/Comcast having released a successor platform three years ago.

Realistically any perceived negatives are going to remain until the product is finally switched off.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
JayJayboy
Topic Author

That is something I have wondered about - that Sky Q will go the way of  SKY+ in a few years time as streaming is the trend.  So will  Sky Q and HD  end in 2028.   Unlike my current situation with SKY HD which still works - will the system of both just close down in 2028.  Does the sat life just finish then ?

Partner feels moving to BT EE for TV might be the move forward but will that still run past 2028.

Had Sky for over 20 years and guess just stayed out of comfort -  not sure I would like another company

J

@JayJayboy wrote:

That is something I have wondered about - that Sky Q will go the way of  SKY+ in a few years time as streaming is the trend.  So will  Sky Q and HD  end in 2028.   Unlike my current situation with SKY HD which still works - will the system of both just close down in 2028.  Does the sat life just finish then ?

Partner feels moving to BT EE for TV might be the move forward but will that still run past 2028.

Had Sky for over 20 years and guess just stayed out of comfort -  not sure I would like another company

Satellite TV in the UK is very likely to finish before the end of the decade when the current Satellites at 28.2 E run out of fuel.

Satellite TV is now old Tech and Streaming is taking over.

The cost of launching new Satellites is just not worth it - although we know there is a new one (or maybe more - I can't remember) launched for use at the now mainly Europe facing Satellite positions - but these feed more countries & boradcasters whose internet coverage may take longer to get the coverage needed 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JayJayboy wrote:

will the system of both just close down in 2028.  Does the sat life just finish then ?

Without satellites in orbit, satellite television doesn't work very well.  The trio of SES satellites at 28.2E will expend the last of their positioning propellant sometime around the end of the decade, and it's unlikely that investors now see a long term return from paying for their replacement. 

It's the current Sky contract with SES which provides the 2028 date: presumably that could be extended on a rolling basis for as long as the platforms are still up there, but Sky would obviously need to have an alternative distribution method in place at every subscription household before they get deorbited.

https://www.ses.com/press-release/sky-uk-renews-capacity-ses-latest-multi-year-deal 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion