Discussion topic: The end of satellite TV and migration to broadband Internet for television services

This message was authored by Dobber1234 This message was authored by: Dobber1234

The end of satellite TV and migration to broadband Internet for television services

Hello quick question does anyone here share the same views as me in that? I am really worried about the end of satellite TV from 2028 onwards it's all very well to say that we will migrate to Broadband and use online platforms from 2028 but there are some parts of this country where Internet is very bad with poor signal quality so as a result if we switch from satellite to broadband immediately after 2028 then this means that my TV services will be continually breaking down. I know it's the way of the world and we have to move with the times, et cetera but I don't think this move should be gone through with until there are decent Internet connections throughout this country, especially in rural Ireland and furthermore what about elderly people who are not familiar with Internet technology? How are they supposed to access their television services? I am really really worried about this new move. I know it's not happening for another four years but surely there can be a mix of both broadband and satellite as there is now I don't think the satellite dish should be abolished completely perhaps I am talking nonsense as nobody here can probably help me with this but I'm just telling you of my feelings. I love to watch TV especially sky TV and 2028 if I lose the ability to watch through satellite  I don't know what I will do. Let's have a conversation. Does anyone else feel like me regarding this issue

Derek Michael O’Brien

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: The end of satellite TV and migration to broadband Internet for television services

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dobber1234 

As the propellant for the satellites in space is running out with no suggestion of the satellites being replaced there's unfortunately no choice. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: The end of satellite TV and migration to broadband Internet for television services

@Dobber1234 wrote:

Hello quick question does anyone here share the same views as me in that? I am really worried about the end of satellite TV from 2028 onwards it's all very well to say that we will migrate to Broadband and use online platforms from 2028 but there are some parts of this country where Internet is very bad with poor signal quality so as a result if we switch from satellite to broadband immediately after 2028 then this means that my TV services will be continually breaking down. I know it's the way of the world and we have to move with the times, et cetera but I don't think this move should be gone through with until there are decent Internet connections throughout this country, especially in rural Ireland and furthermore what about elderly people who are not familiar with Internet technology? How are they supposed to access their television services? I am really really worried about this new move. I know it's not happening for another four years but surely there can be a mix of both broadband and satellite as there is now I don't think the satellite dish should be abolished completely perhaps I am talking nonsense as nobody here can probably help me with this but I'm just telling you of my feelings. I love to watch TV especially sky TV and 2028 if I lose the ability to watch through satellite  I don't know what I will do. Let's have a conversation. Does anyone else feel like me regarding this issue

@Dobber1234 

The main reason that Satelite TV in the UK is likely to cease by the end of the decade is financial viability - Satellites are extremely expensive so no-one is like to fund replacements for the Satellites at 28.2 which are towards their end of life due to the postioining fuel that will run out.

In reality the UK & Ireland  have a much smaller populaton coverage than those whose beams cover Europe. 

The number of customers who have already moved and will move to Internet based streaming means the remaining customers relying on Satellite delivered TV is growing even smaller fairly rapidly which just makes the cost of provisioning new Satellites even more unviable.

it is different for the European targeted satellites as there is a much larger population coverage and multiple TV companies from many countries using them - so there are newer Satellites launched/planned

We have been fortunate that Satellite TV provided the blanket coverage that terrestrial TV never could 

I suppose someone could possibly try making a business case to have some channels move  to 19.2   (which SKY analogue also used)  assuming the new Satellites have enough capacity but that would involve re-aligning dishes as well - although I can't see anyone doing this

Edit :  Whilst I know it won't reach the population coverage that Satellite Tv can we, also, must take into account that broadband provision is increasing fairly rapidly so this also means the percentage of customers that will be affected when the Satellites run out of fuel will, in reality, be on the small side .

I know that doesn't help those that will be affected but it  all goes into the financial viability pot  

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Dobber1234 wrote:

I know it's not happening for another four years but surely there can be a mix of both broadband and satellite as there is now I don't think the satellite dish should be abolished completely 

Millions of satellite dishes will be adorning walls in the UK and Republic of Ireland for decades to come, but as noted above if there isn't at least one broadcast platform in the bit of the heavens they are pointing at, they really cannot perform a useful function.  With a maximum (and now shrinking) market of about 15 million households there isn't likely to be the private investor interest to fund another orbiter and launch (at about £100,000,000 a time) : SES have just put up a new unit at 19.2E, but that will serve approximately ten times more properties across continental Europe.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by phil19651 This message was authored by: phil19651

If its anything like everybody having an electric car by such and such a date, I think satellites may be around  for a bit longer.🤔🙄.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@phil19651 wrote:

If its anything like everybody having an electric car by such and such a date, I think satellites may be around  for a bit longer.🤔🙄.

I've got 4 of them so I'm covering for some of you 😉

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion