Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by Meggie2008 This message was authored by: Meggie2008

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Mine has been doing this since I changed from sky broadband to utility warehouse.

It drops at least once a day and I need to put the password back in, it is an absolute pain in the backside.

This message was authored by Sam159 This message was authored by: Sam159

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

I feel your pain no matter what or where the router is it will drop out regularly which means u have to turn hub off every time and your sky q box it's always the sky w box at fault not your router! Then reboot both I have to go up and down stairs every time ! U may have to put in the onerous password into the sky menu and absolutely pain in the neck it's arduous! It's band steering it can't deal with the 5 hertz thing it likes 2.5 or something weird so it gets knocked out no idea but it's a conspiracy to get you to ditch BT .. I'm with them.... they won't help either! And sign up with sky broadband it's seriously out of order surely against legislation to do this but I live with it sinetiit will reconnect by itself I now don't bother with it I can live without it being connected or id never have a life to get on with no other device has this issue only sky q box...an absolute pain in the bum !

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Meggie2008 wrote:

Mine has been doing this since I changed from sky broadband to utility warehouse.

It drops at least once a day and I need to put the password back in, it is an absolute pain in the backside.

Can be caused by a weak wifi connection. Talk to Sky, they should give you a booster

This message was authored by ViewerL This message was authored by: ViewerL

The Sky Q keeps disconnecting from the BT WiFi network. It has reconnected in the past but on this occassion I just cannot connect. I have done resets (repeatedly), entered passwords (repeatedly) and still no connection. Any more tips? Other devices including ipads, pc's , laptops, phones etc will connect when required. 

Join the huge club! It's a con to get you to use sky broadband....fortunately I just ignore the disconnect as I can live without it but only way is to turn off WiFi turn off sky q so basically pull through plugs go out for a while ....after half an hr boot up your WiFi then when it's happy plug your sky box back in let it reconnect etc.  It should reconnect to WiFi router on its own if it doesn't you'll have to put in the awful password on your router into the sky menu when asked if that fails then wiring is only way I can't as its logistically ridiculous!!! C how u go.....all down to band steering apparently...

This message was authored by ViewerL This message was authored by: ViewerL

Thanks for this. My Sky Q has not been a wonderful experience and my sympathies to any technology averse people who find themselves with a Sky Q that repeatedly disconnects. 

Indeed it's enough to send any sane person to their early grave....I can't give any more advice the thing is in its own world sky ate to blame here of course ...no help from them they just say use sky broadband! I love my football only reason I have sky but I'm waiting till June to give them a month's notice so I can be rid of them and lose way I enjoy most it's a lot of money each month to have this continued agro one I don't need in life ! 

@ViewerL wrote:

The Sky Q keeps disconnecting from the BT WiFi network. It has reconnected in the past but on this occassion I just cannot connect. I have done resets (repeatedly), entered passwords (repeatedly) and still no connection. Any more tips? Other devices including ipads, pc's , laptops, phones etc will connect when required. 

Try naming your 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi networks different SSIDs on the BT router

If you can find someone to-do the renaming tip that's the way to go as it's band steering to a stronger signal or something more technical maybe someone you can find to do this I wouldn't have the know how personally but I think it should fix it....bt maybe lol I bet not ! Personally I'm not bothered about it now as I live without it being connected and it reconnects eventually on its own...Good luck to one and all !!!!! 

@Sam159 wrote:

If you can find someone to-do the renaming tip that's the way to go as it's band steering to a stronger signal or something more technical maybe someone you can find to do this I wouldn't have the know how personally but I think it should fix it....bt maybe lol I bet not ! Personally I'm not bothered about it now as I live without it being connected and it reconnects eventually on its own...Good luck to one and all !!!!! 

It's really easy, you just do it through a web browser on your pc. Put the router's IP address in the address bar and login using the credentials printed on the device.

Thank you but even that scares me I hope others will see your advice though....we really shouldn't have to be doing all this of course poor show sky 😢 

This message was authored by drs66 This message was authored by: drs66

Mine's been fine for years, then suddenly started disconnecting from BT WiFi every day or two, real pain in the **bleep** having to reset every time. I've not changed provider.

Welcome to the frustrated club!!!! As I've sd before it's a glitch in their precious sky q box kerosene band steering we seem to be mainly BT customers so they say they can fix it ....yes indeed if we subscribe to sky broadband...its a total con....

This message was authored by smab70 This message was authored by: smab70

They've told me to move it and best possible scenario to run a Ethernet cable straight from the router to the skyq mini box which in itself is an unviable option for cost and also my flat is on 3 floors like a house. Crazy 

smab70_0-1727526680059.png

Useless in many cases I'm the same ..sjy know why it disconnects its band steering and sky q box is to blame about time sky replaced or sent technology to the box to fix it but they won't as they want us to move to sky broadband! I'm cancelling this as soon as I need to give 30 days as its a nonsense and I'll live without my sport and the 68 quid they steal from me monthly....downside need to wait many months ....screw them.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion