Discussion topic: TV Essentials

This message was authored by Cooper+D This message was authored by: Cooper+D

TV Essentials

I currently subscribe to Essentials TV. When I go into catch up tv and select channel 5 and then select something to watch I'm being prompted to press red to upgrade. I would have thought that as channel 5 is free to air, catch up would work fine. 

If I go to my tv menu it works fine, however it's a bit inconvenient swapping between remotes. Does anyone know why it doesn't work.

All my opinions are my own.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: TV Essentials

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cooper+D wrote:

I currently subscribe to Essentials TV. When I go into catch up tv and select channel 5 and then select something to watch I'm being prompted to press red to upgrade. I would have thought that as channel 5 is free to air, catch up would work fine. 

If I go to my tv menu it works fine, however it's a bit inconvenient swapping between remotes. Does anyone know why it doesn't work.

Hi @Cooper+D 

I suspect that is because you are trying to download CH 5 in HD.

Cooper+D
Topic Author
This message was authored by Cooper+D This message was authored by: Cooper+D

@oldfella surely if channel 5 HD is free to air it should still work.

All my opinions are my own.
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Cooper+D   There is no My5 on Sky Q boxes, so Channel 5 HD live is only included.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Cooper+D wrote:

For some reason @Cooper+D 

I believe Ch4 HD and Ch5 HD on demand needs HD subscription

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Cooper+D wrote:

That would be a decision for the channel rather than Sky.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Oddie2004 This message was authored by: Oddie2004

Appears to be a major issue with + and Q since friday but trying to speak to anyone at sky over the weekend is a joke.Unable to download any non sky channels from catch up since 8pm on Friday or very limited offerings.I am waiting for a response from viewerr and Customer Priority Team but suspect it is similar to the previous time it happened whereby Sky blamed everyone but themselves and then admitted it was a software issue that had gone wrong.Lets hope the Tech team can resolve it soon.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Oddie2004 

No similar reports from other users, though, which suggests an individual issue.  This original post in this thread is specific to Sky Television Essentials.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Oddie2004 wrote:

Appears to be a major issue with + and Q since friday but trying to speak to anyone at sky over the weekend is a joke.Unable to download any non sky channels from catch up since 8pm on Friday or very limited offerings.I am waiting for a response from viewerr and Customer Priority Team but suspect it is similar to the previous time it happened whereby Sky blamed everyone but themselves and then admitted it was a software issue that had gone wrong.Lets hope the Tech team can resolve it soon.

Certainly no issues downloading here this weekend. 

@Cooper+D As mentioned, I believe it's the channels' decision that Ch 4 and Ch 5 Catch Up/On Demand require the HD Pack to download in HD. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

It was resolved this morning by Sky sending a signal to my box which was an update which appears to have resolved the issues for now .

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Oddie2004 wrote:

It was resolved this morning by Sky sending a signal to my box which was an update which appears to have resolved the issues for now .

That would have been a signal to your Viewing Card to refresh your viewing privileges in line with your subscription.

Yes.Thankyou

I did recontract on Friday so not sure why it was not done then or I should have been told there may have been some issues over the weekend.

Never mind all sorted out now.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion