Discussion topic: SkyQ not connected to Sony surround sound system

This message was authored by NG13 This message was authored by: NG13

SkyQ not connected to Sony surround sound system

Since my Sky box was upgraded to SkyQ my Sony 5.2 surround sound system doesn't work while watching TV.  It works still with DVD player.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can you please advise on the fix that solved it, thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

Re: SkyQ not connected to Sony surround sound system

@NG13 wrote:

Since my Sky box was upgraded to SkyQ my Sony 5.2 surround sound system doesn't work while watching TV.  It works still with DVD player.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can you please advise on the fix that solved it, thanks.

How is your Q box connected to the surround system? 

What are the audio output settings on the Q box? 

NG13
Topic Author
This message was authored by NG13 This message was authored by: NG13

I suspect it's not connected. I'd appreciate advice on what to look for please, before I ring Sky.  Problem started after their engineer upgraded my system.  

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@NG13 wrote:

I suspect it's not connected. I'd appreciate advice on what to look for please, before I ring Sky.  Problem started after their engineer upgraded my system.  

Sky won't be able to help you connect any other devices. Their engineers are only authorised to connect a Q box to a TV via HDMI, connecting to any other sound systems is not part of their job description. 

You need to work out how your system was connected before. What is the model number of your surround system? Does it have HDMI ARC or eARC? How is it connected to your TV? Does your TV have an optical digital output for audio? Is this connected to the surround system?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NG13 wrote:

It works still with DVD player.

That suggests it's a now rather elderly 'home theatre' DVD plus integrated speaker system, and typically if it doesn't have an option for optical input then Q cannot output audio to it unless you purchase additional hardware (specifically an optical audio to analogue converter)

Alternatively, analogue audio out from the television to input on the Sony player might work (if the television set supports this)

A model number would be useful to confirm this.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hmm

might just be that a dvd / bluray player is plugged into it and the sky box isn't

Probably not that many integrated systems around with twin subs, if it really is 5.2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion