Discussion topic: SkyQ box keeps re-setting from UHD to 1080.

This message was authored by a1234567494 This message was authored by: a1234567494

SkyQ box keeps re-setting from UHD to 1080.

SkyQ box keeps re-setting from UHD to 1080. Usually overnight, sometimes every day, sometimes every few days. Have to go into settings over & over again!!

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: SkyQ box keeps re-setting from UHD to 1080.

@a1234567494 wrote:

SkyQ box keeps re-setting from UHD to 1080. Usually overnight, sometimes every day, sometimes every few days. Have to go into settings over & over again!!

Make sure that your TV is on first, then power on the Sky box. The Q box needs to 'see' that it's connected to a 4K TV before it will output 2160P. If the TV hasn't fully turned on when Q sends the signal to check the TV via the HDMI connection then it it will default to 1080i. 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@a1234567494 wrote:

I had this issue with my old Panasonic - it would frequently lose UHD settings.

Changed to LG and is now rock solid.

It's not necessarily a Sky issue... Check if your TV has any newer firmware.  How is the box connected - direct to TV of via soundbar/amp?  Checked your HDMI lead?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
a1234567494
Topic Author
This message was authored by a1234567494 This message was authored by: a1234567494

Re: SkyQ box STILL keeps re-setting from UHD to 1080. It's not the TV or cables. It's the box.

Keeps re-setting from UHD! Brand new Samsung TV, top of range cables & it sometimes stays on UHD for a few days before randomly re-setting. 

This message was authored by Ukbigdave This message was authored by: Ukbigdave

This is annoying as hell. For me, its when we change sources (apple tv/xbox), then back to TV. Also a decent Samsung TV. 

This message was authored by Ronj This message was authored by: Ronj

Oddly this has just started happening on my LG only in last few days annoying.

This message was authored by Justplumb This message was authored by: Justplumb

Hi , just brought a top of the range Samsung tv and and is connected to a Sonos system. Got the same problem, keeps resetting uhd settings !!! Very annoying 

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@Justplumb  How is the SkyQ box connected, through the Sonos or directly to the TV, if through the Sonos then connect directly to the Samsung

This message was authored by Justplumb This message was authored by: Justplumb

Hi , thanks for the reply. The sky q box is connected directly to the tv

a1234567494
Topic Author

Hi, it doesn't matter how the SkyQ box is connected.  It's the box that holds, or rather doesn't hold, the settings. It's obviously a fault but Sky haven't got a clue!!!

This message was authored by On+The+Ball This message was authored by: On+The+Ball

This has also been happening for me. It never sticks - not sure what I'm paying for!

This message was authored by Gary_S This message was authored by: Gary_S

I am having the same issues with a 4 month old top end Samsung TV. The sky box randomly drops uhd output and will also say in the menu to connect to a uhd source. It involves me having to power down the TV and box, then redo the audio and visual config to 2160p.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@a1234567494 wrote:

Hi, it doesn't matter how the SkyQ box is connected.  It's the box that holds, or rather doesn't hold, the settings. It's obviously a fault but Sky haven't got a clue!!!

Why do you think it doesn't happen to a lot more people? Like the Netflix loading issue has hundreds of complaints on here. It might be the Q doesn't handle something well that the TV is doing when switching inputs. There's always some comms going on between source & display with HDMI. Maybe putting it into standby  before changing inputs could work around it?

This message was authored by Gary_S This message was authored by: Gary_S

Either way, the sky box is changing it's settings on its own. And even when the TV is powered on, it will still sit in 1080i.

Very poor from sky and their software. Something so simple. It seems to be a common problem across different rv brand users. So it's 100% a Q box issue. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

It's doing it because something is making it think the display can't support higher resolutions, and if that were true, you wouldn't be able to see anything if it didn't.

So the problem is not that it's changing the setting. It's that something is going wrong in the negotiation with the TV that makes it think the setting needs changing.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion