Discussion topic: Sky q mini

This message was authored by Adam175 This message was authored by: Adam175

Sky q mini

After connecting the sky q mini box upstairs to the downstairs main box it works for approximately 5 minutes before a blue screen appears stating a problem finding the sky q box on the network. Restarted the whole thing several times and retried several times only to be left with the same issue (ERROR:MR204) 

Only started since switching to fibre from sky 

All Replies

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Re: Sky q mini

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Adam175 wrote:

After connecting the sky q mini box upstairs to the downstairs main box it works for approximately 5 minutes before a blue screen appears stating a problem finding the sky q box on the network. Restarted the whole thing several times and retried several times only to be left with the same issue (ERROR:MR204) 

Only started since switching to fibre from sky 

Hi @Adam175 Try rebooting your router by removing the power cable for 30 sec then reconnect to reboot, then reboot your main SKYQ box by turning the power off at the socket for 30 sec then turn back on, then do the same with any Mini boxes?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

When you were using a sky router the mini could connect direct to the router wifi to get to the Q

Now you're on a 3rd party it can't and it has to talk direct to the Q. Which has a terrible wifi signal by comparison.

A sky Q booster can help, positioned between the two boxes, or use powerlines or ethernet.

Adam175
Topic Author
This message was authored by Adam175 This message was authored by: Adam175

I have tried everyone's advise in resetting/rebooting and the sky q boxes simply won't connect by Wi-Fi to the new sky fibre router. I can connect the main sky q as a wired connection but not the mini box making it unusable at the moment , any time I do get it to connect it looses all signal in minutes 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Adam175 wrote:

I have tried everyone's advise in resetting/rebooting and the sky q boxes simply won't connect by Wi-Fi to the new sky fibre router. I can connect the main sky q as a wired connection but not the mini box making it unusable at the moment , any time I do get it to connect it looses all signal in minutes 

@Adam175 what colour is the Sky router that you were provided. If its the new Max router the white one then you need to connect the mini box directly to the main box by wps. This because the new max router does not connect to the Sky mesh like the older back routers did. 

If you are having disconnetion problems between the mini and main box you may need a Sky booster. 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Bulls1974 This message was authored by: Bulls1974

A possible simple but not free route for you is to connect the Q mini box to the router via cat 45 cable, you will need something similar to this:

TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Starter Kit

466/1847

It not the same one I used for a few years till I moved but these thing do a great job, and don't consume any of your precious Wi-Fi

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion