Discussion topic: Sky Q mini box connection

This message was authored by DA2023 This message was authored by: DA2023

Sky Q mini box connection

I have recently bought a Sky Q mini box to allow me to watch sky in a different room. I have followed the setup instructions to the letter and looked at several chats, but nothing has helped me.

my main sky Q box works fine, I can download films and connectivity is good and stable. But when I connect my Sky Q mini box using the set up it connects to the main box but then has issues connecting to the WiFi ( I do not have Sky broadband ) . When this happens my main sky Q box loses connection also and the connection between the two boxes drop.

I am wondering if it is related to poor WiFi but my other items like phone and iPad can connect at the same location as my Sky Q box mini.

any suggestions ?

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q mini box connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DA2023 wrote:

I have recently bought a Sky Q mini box to allow me to watch sky in a different room. I have followed the setup instructions to the letter and looked at several chats, but nothing has helped me.

my main sky Q box works fine, I can download films and connectivity is good and stable. But when I connect my Sky Q mini box using the set up it connects to the main box but then has issues connecting to the WiFi ( I do not have Sky broadband ) . When this happens my main sky Q box loses connection also and the connection between the two boxes drop.

I am wondering if it is related to poor WiFi but my other items like phone and iPad can connect at the same location as my Sky Q box mini.

any suggestions ?

Hi @DA2023 

First off you cannot buy mini boxes as they are rented and always owned by Sky.

Assume your mini came from Sky?

This message was authored by Roadiebryan This message was authored by: Roadiebryan

I assume like me you paid a lump sum for a second mini box. Like you I have the same problem so much that the 2nd box is unusable so if you get a sensible answer I would be very interested 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Roadiebryan wrote:

I assume like me you paid a lump sum for a second mini box. Like you I have the same problem so much that the 2nd box is unusable so if you get a sensible answer I would be very interested 

@Roadiebryan as per the questin @oldfella asked @DA2023 did you get your mini box from Sky?

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Roadiebryan This message was authored by: Roadiebryan

Yes, got it from sky along with the main box and another mini. Re my Wi-Fi I Garrett 350k to the boxes from virgin so broadband is not the problem 

DA2023
Topic Author

Yes you are correct I rent the box from Sky

DA2023
Topic Author

From all that I have read it does seem to be an issue when not using Sky Broadband. So is there a handshake or protocol issue between the Sky Q system and the broad band when it sets up it's mesh network ? 

My old system was 3 sky + boxes, my broadband was Virgin with a tplink mesh setup

when the engineer installed the q boxes he had a problem with connection so he connected them to the Wi-Fi from the Virgin modem I disconnected the tp mesh system and installed Virgin booster pods, all went well for a couple of months before the connection problems started to occur

In the last week it has got so bad the main box now loses connection and I have to reset the Wi-Fi connection which is a pain

It would seem that sky q is incompatible with Virgin

The 2nd mini box has been disconnected and unpluged from the mains, the other mini box is very rarely used so I can't say if there is any problem with that connection 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion