Discussion topic: Sky Q box wifi

This message was authored by SOOKIE+D This message was authored by: SOOKIE+D

Sky Q box wifi

Why does my phone (or other device) right next to my sky box get a WiFi download speed of 70+Mbps...but checking speed via Netflix app on Sky (as suggested) says only 8 Mbps? Seems like WiFi speed is absolutely fine in house but not to sky boxes.  Can't use Ethernet as too far from router. Seen people suggesting power line things - what are these, might they help and what do I do them with them? I've been a loyal sky customer for over 20 years but I'm sick of it not working anymore - channel 4 app unwatchable as buffering so much and downloads take hours. Never used to have these problems even though my WiFi is much much faster now. 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Q box wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SOOKIE+D wrote:

Why does my phone (or other device) right next to my sky box get a WiFi download speed of 70+Mbps...but checking speed via Netflix app on Sky (as suggested) says only 8 Mbps? Seems like WiFi speed is absolutely fine in house but not to sky boxes.  Can't use Ethernet as too far from router. Seen people suggesting power line things - what are these, might they help and what do I do them with them? I've been a loyal sky customer for over 20 years but I'm sick of it not working anymore - channel 4 app unwatchable as buffering so much and downloads take hours. Never used to have these problems even though my WiFi is much much faster now. 

hi @SOOKIE+D 

Who is your internet provider - if it is not SKY (which I am guessing it isn't) then your SKY Q box will only connect to your router using the 2.4GHz wifi  band, wheras your other devices may be using the the higher speed 5GHz band - thus there may be a problem with your 2.4GHz signal where your box is.

Powerline adapters are devices which let you use your mains wiring to be used as ethernet connections -  you use a short ethernet connection to a powerline adapter at each end and the mains cable in between acts like you had an ethernet cable running the whole distance 

SOOKIE+D
Topic Author
This message was authored by SOOKIE+D This message was authored by: SOOKIE+D

Re: Sky Q box wifi

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, it's BT broadband now. Is the issue with the router something I can do anything about? (or am I better just cutting my losses and investing in some power line connectors)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion