Discussion topic: Sky Q & Deco Mesh issues ( Sky dropping out )

This message was authored by Goforit13 This message was authored by: Goforit13

Sky Q & Deco Mesh issues ( Sky dropping out )

I have recently changed to Utility Warehouse Broadband and have Sky Q in 4 locations in the house. I use a DECO mesh system as I live in a rural area and have used previously to boost my signal around the house 

Frustratingly since migrating to UW broadband my Sky Q keeps dropping off and I have to keep looking to reset or configure to the network .. 

I cannot hardwire my SKYQ boxes and have to rely on WiFi .. I am thinking I need to do something with the set up of my Deco to stop this happening or with each of the Sky Q main box or SKYQ minis 

My actual broadband speeds are pretty decent so the issue must be with the set up 

any advice would be really appreciated 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Q & Deco Mesh issues ( Sky dropping out )

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @Goforit13 

Is the main SKy Q box dropping out & needing reset or just the minis ?

I am not an expert and can only give minimal advice but you should be aware that the SKY Q minis won't connect to 3rd party wifi - instead they use a wifi signal generated by the Main SKY Q box (& can I think daisy chain between themselves) 

If you are having touble with them then you may be able to get a booster from SKY 

hi again @Goforit13 

Is it possible to connect all your boxes via ethernet to your mesh system ?

As I say I am not an expert but I think if the boxes are ALL connected via ethernet to your network then I believe that might work ( I think some people manage this with the BT whole home discs for example)

Goforit13
Topic Author

Thanks you .. Do you or anyone else know if a Sky booster will work on a 3rd party network such as Utility Warehouse broadband or will I need to add all the Sky boxes to the UW network instead and add this booster to this network instead? 

@Goforit13 wrote:

Thanks you .. Do you or anyone else know if a Sky booster will work on a 3rd party network such as Utility Warehouse broadband or will I need to add all the Sky boxes to the UW network instead and add this booster to this network instead? 

no the SKY Q booster will only work on the SKY wifi generated by the SKY boxes

Goforit13
Topic Author

Thank you .. Sorry to be a pain .. How do I find out what the Sky Network is created by the SKYQ main box and mini's? 

@Goforit13 wrote:

Thank you .. Sorry to be a pain .. How do I find out what the Sky Network is created by the SKYQ main box and mini's? 

The SKy Q box does show a network but I am not too sure it is 100% reliable

TBH it doesn't really matter as you cannot access it yourself - it is only used between the SKY Q minis & main box.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Goforit13 wrote:

Hi @Goforit13 

Unfortunately your Deco mesh network is always likely to interfere with the Q mesh.

You can use a Q WiFi booster to connect by Ethernet to your Broadband router.

Then you can try connecting your main Q box to this booster by WPS.

This message was authored by moletp This message was authored by: moletp

@Goforit13

Just set up a Deco mesh on BT. Having similar problem with Q dropping wireless network on main and having connectivity issues with mini's. Seemed to have resolved this by connecting via ethernet on main box to nearest mesh unit. Mini's now working and been stable for past 48hours and no loss of network reported on main. All this may be coincidental. Have not turned Sky wifi off or changed channels. I am sure someone can enlighten us on the perceived problems that mesh networks create when connecting to Q. ( wifi turned off on bt router)

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@moletp wrote:

@Goforit13

Just set up a Deco mesh on BT. Having similar problem with Q dropping wireless network on main and having connectivity issues with mini's. Seemed to have resolved this by connecting via ethernet on main box to nearest mesh unit. Mini's now working and been stable for past 48hours and no loss of network reported on main. All this may be coincidental. Have not turned Sky wifi off or changed channels. I am sure someone can enlighten us on the perceived problems that mesh networks create when connecting to Q. ( wifi turned off on bt router)

It's not just mesh networks. What you did is what I did. Only way to get it stable for me.

So your minis are still using the sky wifi to talk to the Q?

This message was authored by moletp This message was authored by: moletp

@Chodley

Yes the mini's are both wireless. I suspect that this may be a fluke resolution. When I first enabled the ethernet and went through the network setup on the Q box selecting a wired connection the box returned a "sky" network id. ( Although I had originally set up the Deco network ssid). Both mini's that I tried to setup using wps suddenly burst into life. However looking at the status on Q now it is reporting as being on the Deco network as are the mini's. As I did not turn off the wifi on the Q box I conclude that it has reverted to wireless connectivity. As everything is working OK, I am loath to play around. The only other thing I can think of is that these Deco's (px50's) have a combined wifi and powerline function and that there is somehow a parallel link back to the router that is stabilising the connection.

We shall see what happens over the next few weeks and if I feel up to it I may pull the ethernet connection to see what the outcome is, but for now I am leaving well alone. I do not want to incur the wrath of mrs M.

This message was authored by Myle7 This message was authored by: Myle7

@moletp - how have you got on over the last year?

we've recently moved into an 1800s stone-built steading and knew that we'd struggle with the minis as the broadband router is at one end of the (long, thin) building and the main box is at the other end.

I fitted a set of three PX50 Decos initially - albeit the main Deco (and main Sky box / router) is one floor above the minis and is therefore on a different ring main. This proved flaky - several dropouts per day where the mini loses connection to the main SkyQ.

I then added a further 3 PX50s (which should be overkill) - making sure there was one in the room directly above the mini (same ring as the main Deco) and one directly below the main Deco - so that they should mesh between floors even if the power line doesn't cross between the ring mains.

Signal strength is up, but the minis keep dropping out. 

The SkyQ WiFi is turned off everywhere and so isn't conflicting with the deco mesh. All minis are connecting via Ethernet direct to a Deco.

Getting pretty frustrated!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion