Discussion topic: Sky Q Wong connect to StarLink - all other devices in house will - HELP

This message was authored by 911DG This message was authored by: 911DG

Sky Q Wong connect to StarLink - all other devices in house will - HELP

Hi guys 

need some Help desperately!!

recently turned OFF sky boradband as it was very poor speeds (3mbps - we live on a farm) - and got StarLink, which is amazing!!

BUT - now sky won't connect to StarLink (all other devices in the house do).  

It sees it when I go to reset network and Other Providor, lets me put in my Password even - but won't connect.   It even recognises an incorrect password. 
 I've had many useless calls with Sky engineers but no help. 

can Somone PLEASE help.  I have a Sky Q box, a Sky router, sky channels work ok - BUT NO INTERNET so we can't do any On Demand or Prime etc.  

driving me Nuts !!!!!

Thanks

Dan

All Replies

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

Re: Sky Q Wong connect to StarLink - all other devices in house will - HELP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @911DG 

The latest advice to Sky installation engineers that I can find is this;

Although in its design to be in our lower orbit(and publicises lower ping rates), like most other satellite broadband services it can suffer from Latency issues - This is a measurement of the time it takes to send data and receive a response - For example telling the Sky Q box to download content or access an app or any other internet based services.

Another issue which could lead them to not get along, is we as a business also have in place a geographic location setting preventing our content being accessed outside of our known footprint. If the connection is in lower orbit in theory it could look like the connection is outside of this geo-fence, so not inside the UK or Ireland.

Engineers have tried to install Sky Q with Starlink, and altered the DNS to try and get round the issue, this won't work, as the latency issue will still remain.

Here lies the tricky bit, as an engineer you cannot simply cancel a job because these or any other ISP don't get along (after all they can still use it with no BB connection), all you can do is connect to their hub on your iPad, run a speed test and check the Ping Rate - Ideally it needs to be under 25ms, and consistent, by this we mean to run several tests to ensure the ping rate is stable.

If it's higher than 25ms, then you need to inform the customer of the potential issues, such as:

• Call to upgrade message when attempting to access Catch Up and On Demand.
  • Missing tiles within the on demand content.
  • Programmes stuck in the download queue.
  • Failed on demand downloads..

It's then the customer's choice to determine if they still want to go ahead with the install

Starlink latency.jpg

Godfrey.

911DG
Topic Author
This message was authored by 911DG This message was authored by: 911DG

Hi Godfrey,

that's very interesting and useful - thanks.  
Every device in the house is 10-20x faster and PING is 49ms (175 upload) 39ms download)...

not sure if that's relevant or not ?

This message was authored by GuyTrem This message was authored by: GuyTrem

Whilst the info Godfrey has posted is correct, it doesnt address your connection/password issue .....

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

why do you have a Sky router?

This message was authored by Francesca2811 This message was authored by: Francesca2811

Hi Dan 

do this get resolved....I have identical issues.......Starlink working smoothly with everything including the smart TV....but not SKY.......will recognise Starlink network as an option but will not connect..... driving me nuts

@911DG 

This message was authored by Paul973 This message was authored by: Paul973

I am having the exact same issue, recognises a network but says no internet connection,,, so no apps, streaming, catch up, on demand.... all of which I'm paying for! Any ideas 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion