Discussion topic: Sky Q WiFi hotspot setting

This message was authored by Jonathan1983 This message was authored by: Jonathan1983

Sky Q WiFi hotspot setting

Have only just seen the setting for using the sky q as a hotspot, is this new or been available for some time? Unless my sky q only has just got the update today for it

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Q WiFi hotspot setting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jonathan1983 wrote:

Have only just seen the setting for using the sky q as a hotspot, is this new or been available for some time? Unless my sky q only has just got the update today for it

hi @Jonathan1983 

It was introduced over a year ago or more (I can't remember when exactly without searching)

edit - apparently in late  2021

It is only available as an option when your home network is not SKY & is only an option on the main box as it switches it on  or off for all boxes

(For SKY wifi they always form part of the mesh)

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jonathan1983 

When Sky is the ISP, hotspot activation has been automatic since Q was launched in early 2016.

The exception is now where there's a Max Hub at the address.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

BTW @Jonathan1983 

We are not too sure how effective it is - I know in the early days I saw a few reports of it making lttle difference for customers but of course we don't tend to get posts saying how well things work

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@nigea99 wrote:

BTW @Jonathan1983 

We are not too sure how effective it is 

Certainly nowhere near as effective as a modern mesh solution, given the Q mesh technology is approaching being a decade old and Q television boxes have never been a great shape for WiFi.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Jonathan1983
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jonathan1983 This message was authored by: Jonathan1983

That's why it has become available as I now have the max hub, as well as fun and games getting smart devices to work with the hub, unlike the sr203 which connected to devices flawlessly 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion