Discussion topic: Sky Q Remote volume buttons not working

This message was authored by Nads131 This message was authored by: Nads131

Sky Q Remote volume buttons not working

Hi there, 

For ages now the volume buttons haven't been working on my sky Q remote control. I do have a soundbar but the remote was working fine for ages.
i spoke to someone in customer service a while back but that ended up going nowhere. 
I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips please? I've tried the usual avenues, also the engineers trick though I can't remember it clearly now. 
I'm just so fed up of using 2 remotes, Sky Q for everything and soundbar for volume. 

Best Answers
Nads131
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nads131 This message was authored by: Nads131 Answer

Re: Sky Q Remote volume buttons not working

I have a result at last, though not the one I was trying to do but I'm happy with this. 

So I've managed to pair the Sky Q remote to my soundbox, so I get the result I need which is only using one remote!

Thanks very much for your help though. Really appreciate it. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nads131 wrote:

Hi there, 

For ages now the volume buttons haven't been working on my sky Q remote control. I do have a soundbar but the remote was working fine for ages.
i spoke to someone in customer service a while back but that ended up going nowhere. 
I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips please? I've tried the usual avenues, also the engineers trick though I can't remember it clearly now. 
I'm just so fed up of using 2 remotes, Sky Q for everything and soundbar for volume. 

Hi @Nads131 

If your soundbar is connected to your TV by HDMI and also HDMI is switched on in both the your remote should alter the volume of Soundbar when it is correctly paired to your TV.

Alternativly you can pair the remote in Setup to your Soundbar(if it is in the Sky Database) instead of your TV.

To do this Try completly resetting your Bluetooth remote.
Press and hold 7 & 9 together on the remote until it’s led flashes four times.
Then make sure that you are pointing your remote at the Q box and press 1 & 3 together until the remote led flashes and follow onscreen instructions to re- pair.  After pairing to your TV you will be asked if you want to pair to Soundbar/Amp instead of TV.   Note that On/Off and input select on the Q remote is always reserved for TV.

Pairing to Soundbar is only for Volume control and mute (instead of TV)

Nads131
Topic Author

Cheers for replying. So I've tried the method to pair the remote several times before and I get to #3 and the little headphones icon for the Sky Q remote volume come up on the screen but don't do anything regarding volume. I continue through to #8 and it says then my TV is not supported. I know it is because it worked for ages before it suddenly stopped. 

@Nads131 wrote:

Cheers for replying. So I've tried the method to pair the remote several times before and I get to #3 and the little headphones icon for the Sky Q remote volume come up on the screen but don't do anything regarding volume. I continue through to #8 and it says then my TV is not supported. I know it is because it worked for ages before it suddenly stopped. 

Hi @Nads131 

What brand is your TV?

Nads131
Topic Author

It's a Bush TV. 

I forgot to mention that the mute button works on the Sky Q remote just not the volume buttons

@Nads131 wrote:

It's a Bush TV. 

I forgot to mention that the mute button works on the Sky Q remote just not the volume buttons

Hi @Nads131 

In the pairing Setup try Vestel as the TV brand.

'Also try Other brands

Nads131
Topic Author

So tried "Vestel" and no luck. 

Tried "other brands" but it wouldn't even take me through the set up. 

Also forgot to say that if I take the volume right down to the bottom using Sky Q remote to 0 it reacts just like the mute button but doesn't affect the actual volume. 

And now the mute button isn't working either. 

I'm at a complete loss! Driving me loopy! 

@Nads131 wrote:

So tried "Vestel" and no luck. 

Tried "other brands" but it wouldn't even take me through the set up. 

Also forgot to say that if I take the volume right down to the bottom using Sky Q remote to 0 it reacts just like the mute button but doesn't affect the actual volume. 

And now the mute button isn't working either. 

I'm at a complete loss! Driving me loopy! 

Hi @Nads131 

Try rebooting your TV set (not your Q box)

Then try pairing again.

Nads131
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nads131 This message was authored by: Nads131 Answer

I have a result at last, though not the one I was trying to do but I'm happy with this. 

So I've managed to pair the Sky Q remote to my soundbox, so I get the result I need which is only using one remote!

Thanks very much for your help though. Really appreciate it. 

This message was authored by Mozoco This message was authored by: Mozoco

I am also having this problem. I have tried what has been suggested but holding 1 and 3 does not do anything at all. I can get into the settings and I have the code to enter but I don't get any prompt to enter the code when holding 1 and 3 down.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Mozoco wrote:

I am also having this problem. I have tried what has been suggested but holding 1 and 3 does not do anything at all. I can get into the settings and I have the code to enter but I don't get any prompt to enter the code when holding 1 and 3 down.

@Mozoco what remote are you trying to pair is it a Sky Q bluetooth remote with either a voice button on the side or a voice button on the front ?

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by EDifi This message was authored by: EDifi

I got a replacement sky Q box coz mine stopped working.  Ever since I got the new one every few days the volume on remote stops working.  Sometimes I can get it working following the trouble shooting but sometimes it's takes a couple of days and several attempts to get it back on . It's a total pain. Tried to speak to sky for help but getting no where. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion