Discussion topic: Sky Q Remote Control Problems

This message was authored by MysteryMan1 This message was authored by: MysteryMan1

Sky Q Remote Control Problems

We have had Sky Q for a few years but recently we have been getting problems with the remote not responding to commands. This is very random and it can go for a few hours with no problem and then the box just will not respond to buttons being pressed.

A typical example was last night when we were watching a recording and everything was fine, we used remote to find and play the recording and skip through a couple of advert breaks and then on the last break we started it fast forwarding but could't get it to stop. The play button didn't respond and neither did the back button. So, it whizzed through to the end of the programme!

The other thing that is very flaky is the voice recognition. Previously, this has worked great but now it is a very frustrating hit-and-miss game to try to get it to understand what we are asking!

This has been happening for a few months now and the first thought was that it is the remote at fault, but we have now tried 3 different remotes (2 supplied by Sky). They work flawlessly when used with the mini-box but each one misbehaves exactly as described above with the main box.

Don't know if it is relevant, but, the original (and fully working!) remote had the voice control on the side and all these new ones we've tried have it on the front. So, not the same model of remote.

My suspicion is that there could be an issue with the main box that receives the signals sent by the remote.

If this is the case, would Sky come out to investigate and could they repair/replace that component in the box? What we definitely do not want is Sky replacing the box as it has hunderds of hours of recordings that we don't want to lose!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

PS. I tried calling Sky, but it is impossible to get through to actually speak to anyone about this!

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Sky Q Remote Control Problems

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @MysteryMan1 

Afraid the only option if the box is faulty in any way is Box replacement.

Sky do not repair any boxes on site.

Try a Reset Settings in the main Q box hidden menu.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @MysteryMan1 

Afraid the only option if the box is faulty in any way is Box replacement.

Sky do not repair any boxes on site.

Try a Reset Settings in the main Q box hidden menu.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

MysteryMan1
Topic Author
This message was authored by MysteryMan1 This message was authored by: MysteryMan1

Thanks @oldfella for the reply and suggestion. I have done the reset and will see how it goes over next few days! 🤞

This message was authored by Gruntfuggly This message was authored by: Gruntfuggly

Did this work? I have two Sky Q remotes and have started experiencing similar issues. I've replaced batteries, reset the remotes (one refuses to sync with the Sky Mini box) and they work for a while and then just stop again. It's driving me insane.

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@Gruntfuggly 

Have you done the 7+9 and 1+3 as per the instructions above. If you don't use voice commands press and hold 4+6 to change it to a IR only remote which won't use Bluetooth 

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by Gruntfuggly This message was authored by: Gruntfuggly

Yes - and reset (7+8 and then 1+3) works on the main box. On the mini box it fails (but the remote still works apart from controlling the TV anc voice commands).

I'm starting to suspect it's the main box because it stops working then if I use the remote very close to the box it will start again - I can back off to the other side of the room and it still works for a bit. Then stops. Sometimes it will "buffer up" button presses, e.g. I press channel up 10 times - nothing happens for a bit, then it changes channel 10 times.

@Gruntfuggly 

try reactivating the mini box from the settings status then connection to sky q box then reactivate. Then reconnect it back to the main box, 

Then do the 7+9 and 1+3 on the mini box. Make sure the remote has line of sight to the mini box.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

I've just tried your suggestion of infrared and that seems to be working great. Not ideal, but thanks - at least I can control the box again!

My other remote has now stopped responding to the reset (7+9). Any ideas how to fix this - or is it dead?

It will already be reset as it's in IR mode,

You won't need to use 7+9 in IR mode.

Just use 1+3 to pair via Bluetooth again.

Sorry - I meant I now have one remote that works on infrared and one that doesn't work at all (red light doesn't flash when holding down 7+9).  It was working OK (I guess it was infrared only because it wouldn't control the TV) earlier, but now I can't even reset it.

It just seems odd that they've both gone wrong so close to each other .

I appreciate your help by the way - I know what it's like trying to diagnose a problem remotely!

@Gruntfuggly 

If the remote doesn't have voice control then it would be IR / no Bluetooth, if it does have voice control then it has both IR and Bluetooth.

I would call sky to see if they can replace the remotes, just explain the issue etc and they should send you 2 new ones out, may or may not be a door swap for the remotes (they door swapped the remote when I had a replacement) but it depends on who they ship the remotes with 🙂 

MysteryMan1
Topic Author

The problems I had with my remote control were solved by removing/disabling a couple of Bluetooth devices that were near to the Sky box.

My conclusion was that they were interfering with the Bluetooth signal of the remote.

Not sure if this will help you, but it certainly sorted out my issues!

Actually - I was starting to suspect blue tooth interference too., although I don't think there are any new devices around.

Thanks for the help and suggestions both of you.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion