Discussion topic: Sky Q - Internet / Satellite Dish query

This message was authored by 2greens1red This message was authored by: 2greens1red

Sky Q - Internet / Satellite Dish query

I've Sky Q (connected to satellite dish and WiFi) and a new LG TV (LG OLED48A26LA (2022) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, with co-ax aerial connection, WiFi, Ethernet). They work fine, but I'm still learning.

Apologies for these very basic questions:

1) Does Sky Q need both satellite dish and WiFi?

2) What does the LG TV need to operate most efficiently - WiFi or Ethernet, conventional TV aerial?

I'm confused.

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Sky Q - Internet / Satellite Dish query

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@2greens1red wrote:

I've Sky Q (connected to satellite dish and WiFi) and a new LG TV (LG OLED48A26LA (2022) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, with co-ax aerial connection, WiFi, Ethernet). They work fine, but I'm still learning.

2) What does the LG TV need to operate most efficiently - WiFi or Ethernet, conventional TV aerial?

I'm confused.

hi @2greens1red 

SKy Q uses the Satellite Connected cables for 'Live' channels & to record from them

It uses the internet (wifi or ethernet) for any downloads from 'Catch up' or 'On demand' (UHD Films/Entertainment  are also downloads)  . It also uses the internet for any Apps

Your TV will use the internet (again wifi or ethernet) for any inbuilt apps such as Iplayer, Netflix & also for getting Firmware updates

Generally ethernet is more reliable than wifi but it depends on your wifi

The TV Aerial (connected to a traditional terrestrial Aerial) is used for the TV's 'Freeview' tuner so you can watch those channels without SKY Q connected - many peoople who have SKY do not use the Freeview channels as they are on SKY but I have both connected & do use Freeview 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

@2greens1red wrote:

I'm confused.

hi @2greens1red 

SKy Q uses the Satellite Connected cables for 'Live' channels & to record from them

It uses the internet (wifi or ethernet) for any downloads from 'Catch up' or 'On demand' (UHD Films/Entertainment  are also downloads)  . It also uses the internet for any Apps

Your TV will use the internet (again wifi or ethernet) for any inbuilt apps such as Iplayer, Netflix & also for getting Firmware updates

Generally ethernet is more reliable than wifi but it depends on your wifi

The TV Aerial (connected to a traditional terrestrial Aerial) is used for the TV's 'Freeview' tuner so you can watch those channels without SKY Q connected - many peoople who have SKY do not use the Freeview channels as they are on SKY but I have both connected & do use Freeview 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@2greens1red wrote:

I'm confused.

Hi @2greens1red 

Assume you have your Q box connected to your LG TV by HDMI.

The following explains Watching UltraHD (UHD/4K).

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/watching-sky-q-in-ultra-hd .

If you want to use the LG TV built in Apps you need WiFi or Ethernet to connect to your Network.

Conventional terrestrial aerial is only necessary on your LG  for back up to watch Freeview TV if you lose your Sky or Internet.

2greens1red
Topic Author
This message was authored by 2greens1red This message was authored by: 2greens1red

That's brilliant,  @nigea99, and answers everything!

2greens1red
Topic Author

plus @oldfella!   Many thanks as well.

This message was authored by Boatybob This message was authored by: Boatybob

@nigea99  @oldfella  Hi  Great information but one more question please.  I use a magic eye to watch and control Sky in kitchen and lounge. Will this still be available if I switch to SkyQ?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Boatybob 

No: Q boxes do not have the necessary RF output socket.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Boatybob wrote:

@nigea99  @oldfella  Hi  Great information but one more question please.  I use a magic eye to watch and control Sky in kitchen and lounge. Will this still be available if I switch to SkyQ?

hi @Boatybob 

SKY Q does not have RF inputs/outputs like SKY HD and thus cannot use the MagicEye system & also cannot be used this way for additional TVS

SKY Q is based around SKY Mini Boxes which need a Multiroom subscription for additional TVS  - these have their own remote control

Some people have managed to use HDMI splitters or even HDMI to RF converters for secondary TVs but these can be limiting and need reasonable research. 

If you were able to split the signal to a scecondary TV then I have found the bluetooth Remote to have a very good range - as a test I used it in my back garden with my box in an alcove by my fron window (so through 2 walls and 2 rooms)

You may find some general notes I have put tgther useful:

SKY HD to SKY Q 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Boatybob 

Also worth noting that the analogue tuner required for RF 'magic eye' use has essentially disappeared from modern television sets (which are only specified for digital reception) : RF is really outdated technology.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Boatybob This message was authored by: Boatybob

Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll stay with what I've got ftb.

This message was authored by loverboi This message was authored by: loverboi

@nigea99same here i keep ariel connected if something want to watch but not on sky as sometimes the programe is not on a sky channel and only freeview 🙂 😄

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion