Discussion topic: Sky Q Boxes connecting to each other

This message was authored by TheCableGuy996 This message was authored by: TheCableGuy996

Sky Q Boxes connecting to each other

Hello,

I've just re-ordered Sky-Q and decided to give it a go coming back but wanted to check I've not been fed a load of false information just to get a sale (wouldn't be the first time).

I've opted for Sky-Q with a second Mini box... Now as I understand it the two boxes need to communicated with each other and normally do this via their own internal WiFi. 

The problem I have explained is there is no way the boxes will be able to communicate via their own WiFi (it's a range issue and even with boosters it's not going to work) and they will have to communicate via my network (The main box will be connected via ethernet and the mini box will connect to my own WiFi network).

The agent said this should be fine and they can set it up this way if they cannot talk to each other directly.

The other thing to note is that I am on BT broadband and use my own router (pfSense) in case that bears any relevance?

So, is this going to still work like the agent said or do I need to cancel it before an engineer wastes his time and mine?

Cheers.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Q Boxes connecting to each other

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TheCableGuy996

You'd want to switch off the Mini box WiFi.

1) Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
2) Scroll down to highlight ‘Settings’ but DO NOTpress select.
3) Press ‘001’.
4) Press ‘Select’

Then: Network -

- 2.4Ghz wireless - Off

- 5Ghz wireless - Off

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TheCableGuy996 wrote:

they will have to communicate via my network (The main box will be connected via ethernet and the mini box will connect to my own WiFi network).

The agent said this should be fine and they can set it up this way if they cannot talk to each other directly.

Unfortunately you were poorly advised: that's not going to work unless you have a way to get the Mini boxes connecting over ethernet to mesh nodes or other cabled distribution points on your wireless network.

TheCableGuy996
Topic Author
This message was authored by TheCableGuy996 This message was authored by: TheCableGuy996

ok i'll cancel it... thanks

TheCableGuy996
Topic Author

So I just called up to double check this and cancel but they assure me it can be done.

I also am slightly confused by your reply as you are essentially saying it's possible if they are connected the same WiFi network or Switch which will put them on the same network and I said they would be.

It shouldn't matter how each box is connected (ethernet or wifi) as long as they both have an IP on the same subnet.... rihgt?

The clarify the setup....

• There is a Main Sky-Q box and one Mini box.
  • The both the Main Box and Mini Box will be too far apart to communicate directly to each other over their own WiFi.
  • They can both access the same internal network (the main box via etherner and mini box by wifi) and on the same subnet.
  • They will both have internet access.

So have I misunderstood you or the other way around?

Cheers.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

For Q to Q communication this will only work if cabled.  (If out of direct range)

The mini will not connect to a 3rd party broadband to connect back to the main box.  (Even on the same subnet)

The box will connect for about 30 seconds and then drop off.

You can probably 'trick' it by using an ethernet connection to a 3rd party mesh node.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
TheCableGuy996
Topic Author

So for whatever reason you are saying they are not designed to or restricted from talking to each other even on the same network if they are not able to communicate directly with each other through their own WiFi mesh in the boxes?

But they can work in this scinario as long as I ensure both boxes are connected via Ethernet?

If so I could either:

1) Install a spare switch and connect the Mini box directly to it

2) Purchase an Ethernet to WiFi adapter/dongle in order to make the box think it's using Ethernet but really WiFi

Have I got that right and if so should that work right out the box or do I need to change anything else?

It does seem a strange restriction that they can't use the networks WiFi to talk to each other and it has to be done by Ethernet.

Thanks.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TheCableGuy996 wrote:

It shouldn't matter how each box is connected (ethernet or wifi) as long as they both have an IP on the same subnet.... rihgt?

It does matter, though, because Q Mini boxes are not normal network clients: they are specifically built to operate within the 'Q mesh' (which is a proprietary system dating back to 2016)

https://advanced-television.com/2016/01/26/airties-supercharges-sky-q-wi-fi-devices/ 

@TheCableGuy996 wrote:

It does seem a strange restriction that they can't use the networks WiFi to talk to each other and it has to be done by Ethernet.

Q was a very early mesh system with built-in QoS (originally designed to use Powerline communication too) and so Mini boxes only connect to other Sky hardware when used wirelessly.  Back when they were being designed nearly a decade ago domestic WiFi was considerably less advanced than it is today: Comcast/Sky hasn't seen it necessary to do the same thing with Glass/Stream.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@TheCableGuy996 wrote:

2) Purchase an Ethernet to WiFi adapter/dongle in order to make the box think it's using Ethernet but really WiFi

That may 'fool' it.  Personally, I use a mesh network but have the Q boxes connected to a nearby node via Ethernet.  (Connecting to the exact same node via WiFi just drops off)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
TheCableGuy996
Topic Author

Hey,

So I'm starting to understand the system now and why it will only work with other Sky Equipment wirelessly when out of range of WiFi.

Based on that info, can I just double confirm before I spend any money on it that the aforementioned solutions should both work out of the box? If not out of the box do I need to change any settings?

1) Install a spare switch and connect the Mini box directly to it

2) Purchase an Ethernet to WiFi adapter/dongle in order to make the mini box think it's using Ethernet but really WiFi

Thanks

TheCableGuy996
Topic Author

Think we both replied at the same time....

Surely both my solutions would be the same, either work or not because the box would think it's connected to ethernet either way?

If one is guaranteed to work please let me know as I'll go down that route for sure.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@TheCableGuy996

You'd want to switch off the Mini box WiFi.

1) Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
2) Scroll down to highlight ‘Settings’ but DO NOTpress select.
3) Press ‘001’.
4) Press ‘Select’

Then: Network -

- 2.4Ghz wireless - Off

- 5Ghz wireless - Off

TheCableGuy996
Topic Author

Thank you, but is it guaranteed to work with either, or both of the aforementioned ways to connect the box to ethernet before I invest in some hardware?

@TheCableGuy996 

I wouldn't claim it's guaranteed: that depends on the operation of the wireless to wired bridge.  It's a technique known to have been successful with mesh nodes as long as those aren't doing anything like AP client separation.

TheCableGuy996
Topic Author

Okay worth a try and if it doesn't work i'll cancel it then. Thanks everyone for your help.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion