Discussion topic: Sky Q Box mini is faulty

This message was authored by SkyCOMP This message was authored by: SkyCOMP

Sky Q Box mini is faulty

I tried to set up the skyq mini and during the set up there was an instruction to hold a button until a light started flashing.

The light was already flashing and nothing happened.

After a while the box said there had been an error.

I unplugged and tried again a number of times with the same issue.

I beleive I have been sent an already returned faulty SkyQ mini box as the batteries for the remote were flat.

Funny how Sky are quick to take your money but slow to provide working equipment.

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Sky Q Box mini is faulty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SkyCOMP wrote:

I tried to set up the skyq mini and during the set up there was an instruction to hold a button until a light started flashing.

I beleive I have been sent an already returned faulty SkyQ mini box as the batteries for the remote were flat.

Funny how Sky are quick to take your money but slow to provide working equipment.

@SkyCOMP normally the instruction is to press and hold the WPS button until it flashes on the nearest piece of Sky Q equipment which could be the main box or another mini box or if you have the Sky Q router or broadband hub these can also be connected to it. If you are not going to another piece of equipment and doing this then the box won't connect 

Most if not all boxes will likely be refurbished boxes now that Sky loan out to customers

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SkyCOMP wrote:

Hi @SkyCOMP 

When you are setting up a Sky Q mini it will tell you to press the WPS button on the nearest Q device and not the button on the mini.

Normally this will be the WPS button in the main Q box (or the Sky router if nearer and you are on Sky Broadband ).

If the remote is not functioning,

Reset your mini remote by pressing  and holding 7 & 9 together on the remote until it’s led flashes four times. 
This will set it to infrared which will work all Q boxes.   However the remote must be pointed directly at the mini box.

Switch your mini box back on and you then you should be able to complete setup.

Once you get the mini working make sure that you are pointing your remote at the mini box and press 1 & 3 together until the remote led flashes and follow onscreen instructions to re- pair.

SkyCOMP
Topic Author

I will give it a go thank you

SkyCOMP
Topic Author

The batteries were dead!! As evidenced by the fact that the remote worked fine after they were changed with known working batteries.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion