Discussion topic: Sky HDR

This message was authored by planearm This message was authored by: planearm

Sky HDR

Since we have more Sky employees here atm, any news on when Sky will be showing HDR programmes?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Paulonthetelly This message was authored by: Paulonthetelly

Re: Sky HDR

@planearm The Q box is not capable of dealing with HDR . The minis cannot do UHD or HDR

This message was authored by Stoofa This message was authored by: Stoofa

Sky said earlier this year that the HDR upgrade for their boxes is delayed until at least the first part of 2021. HDR is a bigger game changer than 4k alone, but alas.

My signature file goes here
This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @planearm 

What Hi-fi wrote about this 

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-delays-hdr-tv-update-until-late-2020 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

For a short while the spec for the new 1TB UHD box showed that it was capable of HDR.

I don't know if that was a mistake or an admission that only that box is.

This message was authored by EndTVLicenceTax This message was authored by: EndTVLicenceTax

I have been reading up about HDR and repeatedly come across the following (or words to this effect) in relation to being able to view content in HDR:

"must be HDMI 2.0a for HDR to work. As in, your TV, receiver and source all have to be HDMI 2.0a, and usually require HDCP 2.2 copy protection too."

Note: This wording is credited to a US website called SCREENBEAM but many technical sites (whathifi/techradar/etc.) say something similar.

Does anyone know what the sky q boxes have in the way of HDMI connectivity in that regard?

I read somewhere that my Sky q 2 tb box was HDMI1.4 with HDCP2.2 but that would appear to be at odds with the above stated information.

This message was authored by Paulonthetelly This message was authored by: Paulonthetelly

@EndTVLicenceTax , Sky not HDR compatible at this time. Their hardware and software does not meet the technical requirements, it's been mentioned multiple times in this forum.

@Paulonthetelly  For a brief while the spec for the 1TB UHD box showed it was HDR, whether this was accidental or premature I know not.

This message was authored by EndTVLicenceTax This message was authored by: EndTVLicenceTax

@Paulonthetelly Many thanks for that much appreciated.

So just to confirm, no current sky boxes meet the minimum HDMI standard requirements for HDR?

That certainly helps explain why Sky has delayed the rollout of HDR since 2017/2018. It would mean telling all existing customers their sat based boxes are incompatible and will need upgrading. Can you imagine the outcry?

The trouble is that without HDR and Dolby Vision support, the sky q platform just becomes a smaller  part of the overall tv viewing experience.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sky q and will not be getting rid of it any time soon. However, others may feel differently, especially when monthly cost is taken into account.

Personally I think this plays into the hands of those speculators who believe Sky will (shortly) move to a solely internet driven platform for all new customers. Leaving the satellite service to whither on the vine. Saving themselves a fortune in the long run I am sure.

@Paulonthetelly wrote:

@EndTVLicenceTax , Sky not HDR compatible at this time. Their hardware and software does not meet the technical requirements, it's been mentioned multiple times in this forum.

@Paulonthetelly  It has been speculated many times that existing equipment will not support HDR but no one actually knows, none of the information comes from Sky.

@bob1234 , you are right of course but Sky said at Q launch that they were working on a solution.... hmm, my minis cannot even work without a booster or get me UHD but I can buy a plug in device  for £30 that will give me access to UHD and HDR. Remind me Amazon, Netflix, Disney, Apple what are the picture formats available today... Sky are do far behind technology wise. Don't get me wrong as I have a great deal and I can access all the others by TV apps but it is laughable what minis & q can actually do. 

@bob1234 According to those who genuinely know about these things, the HDMI interface standard (2.0a or greater) needed for HDR is the HDMI interface standard that both sending and receiving hardware have to meet. No ifs, no buts no maybes and definitely no speculation required. It really is that simple.

If at point of manufacture of their hardware boxes Sky does not include the components necessary to support the HDMI interface standard required for HDR, those who genuinely know about these things say it is not something that can subsequently be attained by an upgrade via a FW update.

The key here is the word “components” because if Sky have in fact installed the components necessary to attain the HDMI standard required for HDR, then in theory that is something Sky could subsequently “switched on” via a FW update.

The question I would have is why on earth would Sky include in their hardware boxes the components necessary to support the HDMI standard required for HDR...... but then state it is only HDMI1.4 within the specifications for that hardware box? Even if HDCP 2.2 is tacked on the end for UHD purposes.....

That makes absolute no sense whatsoever from a marketing point of view, especially when you take into account the fact that those who know about these things say each HDMI standard can support previous HDMI standards. If compatibility was in fact an issue for Sky.

No speculation required, just facts.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@EndTVLicenceTax The specs published in 2016 at the launch are no longer relevant. The Orginal 1TB boxes and All Q minis are not UHD capable therefore still run HDCP 1.4 as that standard is required for HD signals. The v1 2TB boxes were upgradable - it happened in June 2016 - and then offered both HDCP 1.4 and HDCP2.0 depending on the video output selected in readiness for the launch of UHD in August 2016. These boxes are suspected not to be HDR compliant - not confirmed by Sky but highly likely as their design was finalised before HDR capable chips were in production. 

Around early 2018 (that date maybe wrong)  a v2 of the Sky 2TB box was released - it has a separate power supply - and different video chips as evidenced by a number of issues with some TVs. It is thought this box is HDR ready but again nothing official. Last year a new range of boxes started to appear where both the 1 and 2TB boxes supported UHD and Sky confirmed they are HDR ready. 

All Q boxes use HDCP 1.4 when outputting at HD resolutions and those capable of UHD use HDCP2.0 when set to 2160p whether upscaling or outputting UHD material. This can be easily checked with suitable equipment.

As Sky say little officially about their plans for HDR and anyone who knows more is barred from saying anything due to NDAs.  

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@Chrisee

This thread has been crying out for knowledgeable input. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Rhonny thanks.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion