Discussion topic: Setting up Philips Hue sync box with Sky Q

This message was authored by TKD1234 This message was authored by: TKD1234

Setting up Philips Hue sync box with Sky Q

I'm not great on TV connecting etc., so apologies if I appear to be asking something that is obvious!  Determined to get it set up though, so any help would be gratefully received. 

We have bought a Philips Sync box LG tv and LG soundbar but awaiting delivery of tv and soundbar, so only got the sync box.  Decided to set it up with our TV and Philips Hue lights last night without success. Do I need to plug the Philips sync box into just the TV, for it to work through Sky, or the Sky Q box as well?   I note there is only one HDMI slot on the Sky Q box.  If so, I presume I need to buy a splitter?  I do hope I can use the sync box through Sky?  

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Setting up Philips Hue sync box with Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TKD1234 

The television set connects to the 'OUT / TV' HDMI port (nearest the USB and power connections) on the Play Sync box.

The Q box connects to one of the four numbered 'in' HDMI ports on the Play Sync box.

Hue_Sync_Rear_1.png

Video signal data from the Q box then passes through the Play Sync box on its way to the television so that information can be extracted by Sync to inform the Hue light(s) : note that this requires a Hue Bridge to be present.

The Hue app is used to add the Play Sync box to the Bridge configuration.

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/support/connect-hue-product/accessories/hue-sync-box 

Note that it's generally not possible to extract Hue data from apps on the television set because TV app video signal does not travel over HDMI.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Setting up Philips Hue sync box with Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TKD1234 

The soundbar is a complication: ideally you'd want a bar with both HDMI in and HDMI out and then daisychain it after the Q box and on to the television set HDMI-ARC port.

If there's only one HDMI port on the bar, cabling back from the television over optical audio may be best.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion