Discussion topic: SKYQ 2tb availability

This message was authored by The+Tecky This message was authored by: The+Tecky

SKYQ 2tb availability

As a programmer and a engineer at University of Boton

Currently I am on Sky Glass

The experience I had 

But I hate it becase of the limitation through connectivity broadband and HDMI.

You lose yourself in the GUI of SKY within SKY Glass

If going out for a meal (4hours) or wedding (12 hours) eg you loose out the option to record your programmes on Sky Glass (you cant record your programmes) SKY Q (you can record your programmes)

I may thinking of going back to SKY Q and order 2TB box

Are they still available in 2023 "SKY 2tb"

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: SKYQ 2tb availability

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@The+Tecky wrote:

As a programmer and a engineer at University of Boton

Currently I am on Sky Glass

The experience I had 

But I hate it becase of the limitation through connectivity broadband and HDMI.

You lose yourself in the GUI of SKY within SKY Glass

If going out for a meal (4hours) or wedding (12 hours) eg you loose out the option to record your programmes on Sky Glass (you cant record your programmes) SKY Q (you can record your programmes)

I may thinking of going back to SKY Q and order 2TB box

Are they still available in 2023 "SKY 2tb"

hi @The+Tecky 

To my knowledge 2TB boxes are available but I think volumes fluctuate - my guess is that  probably all will be refurbished.  

One thing to bear in mind is that there are 2TB non HDR boxes around & are often sent out even for those that paid to upgrade the systes & processes are not all they could be) so do make sure that if you want an HDR box it is properly discusses & logged on the system  

BTW The GUI on SKY Q is not too disimalr to SKY Glass/Stream although there are some differences of course

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Hi @The+Tecky 

As @nigea99 says, you need to be aware of the different hardware versions, you can find out the details here.

I have had a couple of 3rd generation 2TB boxes, both have failed. I'm currently on a 2nd generation 2TB which has less functionality (no UHD iPlayer) and is slower than a slow thing on a slow day.

If I had the choice, I would take a 1TB box as long as it was a 3rd generation, we have never filled more than 30% of the hard drive anyway.

-------------------------

LG B6 OLED | Sky Q | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One S
This message was authored by BCX9 This message was authored by: BCX9

I have the V3 Q box, although 1TB because reality is between the two of us 1TB is enough. 

the funny thing is, the Dolby Digital plus setting in the UI mentions its for 2TB only boxes. Which was true in the past but seeing as the V3 1TB and 2TB are largely the same it did make me chuckle.

its running fine, iplayer does cause it to lockup sometimes , (exit iplayer and content still plays but nothing will tune). 

aside from that though marked improvement over BT's box. - I'll admit the only thing I miss but thats really habit. is the backwards EPG.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@stereohaven wrote:

Hi @The+Tecky 

As @nigea99 says, you need to be aware of the different hardware versions, you can find out the details here.

I have had a couple of 3rd generation 2TB boxes, both have failed. I'm currently on a 2nd generation 2TB which has less functionality (no UHD iPlayer) and is slower than a slow thing on a slow day.

If I had the choice, I would take a 1TB box as long as it was a 3rd generation, we have never filled more than 30% of the hard drive anyway.

My first 2TB v3 box was dead out of the gate. Would only boot up after a power cycle each day and even that stopped working inside a week. The replacement (also 2TB v3) has been rock solid.

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

I got slightly longer than a week out of my first box @Chodley, but not much! The replacement v.3 did a solid 16 months or so before this v.2 turned up.

I do like the separate power supply though.

-------------------------

LG B6 OLED | Sky Q | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One S

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion