Discussion topic: Reconnecting sky q mini box after router change

This message was authored by Falcon2 This message was authored by: Falcon2

Reconnecting sky q mini box after router change

Hi. Hope someone can help. I'm on Vodafone broadband and have just switched to a new router with digital voice. My main sky Q box is connected by Ethernet and it working with no problems - I didn't have to do anything. My mini box just can't reconnect (it's linked to the main box via a sky booster). I keep getting stuck at step 3 out of 4 where the message is "no IP address obtained". I reboot the router and just go through the same process again with the same outcome. Any clues? Many thanks. 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Reconnecting sky q mini box after router change

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Falcon2 wrote:

Hi. Hope someone can help. I'm on Vodafone broadband and have just switched to a new router with digital voice. My main sky Q box is connected by Ethernet and it working with no problems - I didn't have to do anything. My mini box just can't reconnect (it's linked to the main box via a sky booster). I keep getting stuck at step 3 out of 4 where the message is "no IP address obtained". I reboot the router and just go through the same process again with the same outcome. Any clues? Many thanks. 

Hi @Falcon2 

Assuming the main Q box is connected correctly you need to set up the Q booster as follows.

Position the booster approx midway between the main Q box and the mini.

1. Hold the WPS button on your booster for 3 seconds until it flashes amber. Then hold the WPS button on the front of your main Q box for 3 seconds until it flashes amber - You'll need to do it within 2 minutes.
  2. After a few minutes, the connected light on the booster should  turn green. You're all set up.

Tip: Need to move your booster after you've connected, don't worry it will automatically reconnect when its moved as long as its within range of your main Q box.

Then carry out a Network Reset on the mini.

Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with Q device,
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the Q booster box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

Falcon2
Topic Author
This message was authored by Falcon2 This message was authored by: Falcon2

@oldfellathanks this was helpful. I had tried this step. The problem appears to be a bit more complex. The booster has all three green lights on (including connectivity) right up to the moment that the instructions ask me to go and press the WPS button on the booster. At that point, something is dropping the connection between the booster and the main sky Q box as the connection green light has always gone out. It then goes back on after a while but never when im

trying to make that final connection between the booster and the mini box. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Falcon2 wrote:

@oldfellathanks this was helpful. I had tried this step. The problem appears to be a bit more complex. The booster has all three green lights on (including connectivity) right up to the moment that the instructions ask me to go and press the WPS button on the booster. At that point, something is dropping the connection between the booster and the main sky Q box as the connection green light has always gone out. It then goes back on after a while but never when im

trying to make that final connection between the booster and the mini box. 

Hi @Falcon2 

Have you tried resetting the Q Booster and then reconnecting it to your main Q box again?

How to reset your booster:

1. Hold RESET on the back of your booster for 10 seconds or until the power light flashes.
  2. Wait until the power and wireless lights turn green, then try connecting again.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion