Discussion topic: No satellite signal - software issue

This message was authored by BGH This message was authored by: BGH

No satellite signal - software issue

Every day now when we turn on the Sky Q box it has picture for a few seconds and then no signal. Had am engineer out who tells us that "it's a know issue with version 21”and ”you'll have to wait for version 22" to fix it. Is that right? It sounds feasible as there is nothing wrong with the dish and if we use the BBC iPlayer for a few minutes, it comes back on again!! How long should I wait before asking for a refund?!

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: No satellite signal - software issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BGH wrote:
Every day now when we turn on the Sky Q box it has picture for a few seconds and then no signal. Had am engineer out who tells us that "it's a know issue with version 21”and ”you'll have to wait for version 22" to fix it. Is that right? It sounds feasible as there is nothing wrong with the dish and if we use the BBC iPlayer for a few minutes, it comes back on again!! How long should I wait before asking for a refund?!

I have not read any reports of any such behaviour let alone a 'known issue' with Q021 (or any releases) so personally I am not expecting to see a fix in the next release

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Never seen this happen on mine. Did they say under what circumstances Q210 does this or were they basically making it up?

BGH
Topic Author

I was offered a new box but told there was no real point as another customer had had four and all of them had the same issue! 

There is NOTHING wrong with the signal - the issue is with how the box is dealing with it.

@BGH wrote:

I was offered a new box but told there was no real point as another customer had had four and all of them had the same issue! 

There is NOTHING wrong with the signal - the issue is with how the box is dealing with it.

If there was such a bug in Q021 then I would have expected the forums here to be awash with with reports. 

Obviously we don't see the calls that the engineer's have to make but I am sure we would have heard something. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@nigea99 wrote:

@BGH wrote:

If there was such a bug in Q021 then I would have expected the forums here to be awash with with reports. 

Obviously we don't see the calls that the engineer's have to make but I am sure we would have heard something. 

I agree, but it seems the OP knows differently.

hi again,

I have asked around and like me, are unaware of such issues 

Perahps you can give us a little more info- although no guarantee's we can help but it might help us point you in the right direction

When you say "no signal" is that the TV not displaying any signal or is that a message from SKY Q saying No Satellite Signal ?

Is the SKY box connected directly to the TV or via a Sound Bar or AV Amp ?

Can you tell us the make & model of the TV & any Soundbar/AV Equipment ? 

You mention using Iplayer restores  signal  is that iplayer on the TV or on the SKY Q box  ? 

Can you use other apps on the SkY Q box  ? 

BGH
Topic Author

It's the Sky Q box saying no signal and it's the iPlayer app on Sky Q.  No sound bar, connected via hdmi cable to a Panasonic TV. 

We had a new dish in January when we got the sky Q box. We really like the box, particularly the apps, but we also like a watching live TV and recording programs and are often unable to because the signal keeps going.

We also have, occasionally, a "bouncing" picture - the viewing screen goes small and bounces around for 20 seconds and then the box shuts itself off. The engineer said that this was common with version 21 as well! He believes that v22 will sort out both problems.

@BGH wrote:

It's the Sky Q box saying no signal and it's the iPlayer app on Sky Q.  No sound bar, connected via hdmi cable to a Panasonic TV. 

We had a new dish in January when we got the sky Q box. We really like the box, particularly the apps, but we also like a watching live TV and recording programs and are often unable to because the signal keeps going.

We also have, occasionally, a "bouncing" picture - the viewing screen goes small and bounces around for 20 seconds and then the box shuts itself off. The engineer said that this was common with version 21 as well! He believes that v22 will sort out both problems.

Ah the bouncing box - that is a known issue for some users

Are you able to check your Router & disable ipv6 on it if it set - we believe this may help 

Please may I ask who your internet provider is  ?

BGH
Topic Author

Sky is our provider and I will try the ipv6 - thank you!

@BGH wrote:

Sky is our provider and I will try the ipv6 - thank you!

Many thanks - please let us know if it does help - it may not but we believe it does for some 

Fingers crossed it does for you.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

The bouncing box shutoff thing predates v210 too

When you say iPlayer says no signal - that's not using a satellite signal so must be a different message?

BGH
Topic Author

What I meant was that it seemed to be some sort of "fix" in that if I tried the iplayer app for a while and then went back to live TV, then I could. 

At the moment, we are finding that each time we turn on the box, we have a picture in the top left corner on the Home page but as soon as we click "back up", the dreaded blue screen of no signal appears! But equally, this can appear at random times during the day as wel!!

BGH
Topic Author

@Chodley and @nigea99  I have now had a new Sky Q box and so far so good - no loss of signal, so I guess what the engineer told me on his visit was wrong. We had no reason to doubt him but the new box works fine - except there's no red light when recording! 😆 So I guess we are doomed to not have a perfectly working box!! Have rung Sky and the chap there told me not to worry about the red light not working as long as the programmes record - which they do. Given our lack of faith with the old box, though, it is very disconcerting!

Thank you both for your advice and help - much appreciated.

This message was authored by MartinE84 This message was authored by: MartinE84

By any chance are you using a hybrid LNB on your dish?

If so, unplug the other boxes and leave only the Sky Q box plugged in and see if that resolves the issue. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion