Discussion topic: New SkyQ box but no red light

This message was authored by SPhelps1952 This message was authored by: SPhelps1952

New SkyQ box but no red light

Just received a replacement SkyQ Box. All working ok except there is no red light when recording. 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: New SkyQ box but no red light

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SPhelps1952 wrote:

Just received a replacement SkyQ Box. All working ok except there is no red light when recording. 

Hi @SPhelps1952 

Try a Reset Settings in the Q box hidden menu.  See if this wakes it up!
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

SPhelps1952
Topic Author
This message was authored by SPhelps1952 This message was authored by: SPhelps1952

Thanks, tried that but still no red light. Not too concerned, just a minor niggle. 

This message was authored by Nicoledo This message was authored by: Nicoledo

Also just received a new sky q box. Red recording light doesn't work. Did the reset, but that does not work

This message was authored by SteveHamer This message was authored by: SteveHamer

Our first Sky Q box lasted, well, I don't know how many years, and was perfect but eventually the Hard Drive packed in and we had a replacement.

That replacement didn't remember recordings that were set when it powered down and itself was replaced (at my expense to call out the engoneer!!?)

That one is the current box and that works fine apart from it never shows the red light when recording which is surprisingly annoying. Resets of all kinds, power cycles and updates have not fixed the red light not coming on and I'm reluctant to ask for yet another box.

Are there no other solutions?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SteveHamer wrote:

Our first Sky Q box lasted, well, I don't know how many years, and was perfect but eventually the Hard Drive packed in and we had a replacement.

That replacement didn't remember recordings that were set when it powered down and itself was replaced (at my expense to call out the engoneer!!?)

That one is the current box and that works fine apart from it never shows the red light when recording which is surprisingly annoying. Resets of all kinds, power cycles and updates have not fixed the red light not coming on and I'm reluctant to ask for yet another box.

Are there no other solutions?

@SteveHamer probably not

I would guess if the red light is not coming on at all then the bulb has blown. If the red light shows when the box is in eco mode then it would appear to be the signal that is sent when the box is recording is probably not being sent in both circumstances I woud expect you would need a replacement box 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion