Discussion topic: Netflix offer through Sky without existing Netflix account

This message was authored by SPPinky This message was authored by: SPPinky

Netflix offer through Sky without existing Netflix account

We took up the 4 month free Netflix offer through Sky, and signed in on our TV with my wife's Netflix account. She had already cancelled the subscription but it worked again through the Sky box.

Sky then offered us Ultra HD, which we decided to cancel as we didn't want to have to swap our Sky Q box. This led to Netflix charging my wife £15.99 as they were instructed by Sky that our subscription had been cancelled. To get a refund Netflix had to cancel my wife's account.

We have about 6 weeks left of the free 4 month Netflix offer to run, but can no longer access it without resubscribing to Netflix and paying at least £4.99.

Are there any ways around this, any way to get Netflix on the TV without paying first for a Netflix account? Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Re: Netflix offer through Sky without existing Netflix account

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SPPinky wrote:

We took up the 4 month free Netflix offer through Sky, and signed in on our TV with my wife's Netflix account. She had already cancelled the subscription but it worked again through the Sky box.

Sky then offered us Ultra HD, which we decided to cancel as we didn't want to have to swap our Sky Q box. This led to Netflix charging my wife £15.99 as they were instructed by Sky that our subscription had been cancelled. To get a refund Netflix had to cancel my wife's account.

We have about 6 weeks left of the free 4 month Netflix offer to run, but can no longer access it without resubscribing to Netflix and paying at least £4.99.

Are there any ways around this, any way to get Netflix on the TV without paying first for a Netflix account? Thanks

Hi @SPPinky no need to cancel your previous Netflix account when taking the Netflix offer through Sky it's normally straight forward as Sky take over the billing from Netflix.

On a few rare occasions where you are billed twice from Netflix and Sky for example you used a different email address not associated with the Netflix account.

Having the UHD subscription allows you to watch content in 4K and determins how many devices you can watch it on 4 devices 

Unless your Sky Q box is none UHD the UHD subscription would have allowed you to watch Netflix in 4k via your Smart tv or any streaming device that supports 4K and install the Netflix App on

I think that the £15.99 was a refund and not a charge 

I maybe wrong I had Sky Q then decided to get Sky Stream had the Netflix Premium sub for four screens then had the UHD sub to watch Netflix in 4k on other devices Smart tv and Firestick 

A few weeks down the line decided to go back to Sky Q nothing had changed with regards to Netflix still able to watch on 4 screens and in 4K

The only thing I did notice was the amount of credit on my online Netflix account as shown here

Screenshot_20230708_060200_Netflix.jpg

So to get your refund are you sure Netflix didn't close your account instead of cancelling?

I will escalate you post to Sky where you can have a chat about your issue and hopefully get it sorted 

Please see this link with regards to the escalation look out for the blue chat bubble.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

SPPinky
Topic Author

Thank you. It was all straightforward from April until this week, but being given and then cancelling the UltraHD offer has messed everything up. I only wanted to cancel being sent a new Sky Q box as we do not work from home and did not think it was worth the effort to arrange to be able to swap our old box with the delivery of the new one.

It was definitely a charge Netflix took from my wife's account, I chatted to an advisor from Netflix and they said this was because Sky cancelled the Premium subscription they had set up, so we defaulted to the £15.99 rate. Netflix would only issue a refund if they first cancelled my wife's account, so we now can't sign in to Netflix on the Sky box as the account is cancelled, and can only seem to reactivate the account by paying for a new subscription.

SPPinky
Topic Author

@best+of+the+best thank you. 

It was all straightforward from April until this week, but being given and then cancelling the UltraHD offer has messed everything up. I only wanted to cancel being sent a new Sky Q box as we do not work from home and did not think it was worth the effort to arrange to be able to swap our old box with the delivery of the new one.

It was definitely a charge Netflix took from my wife's account, I chatted to an advisor from Netflix and they said this was because Sky cancelled the Premium subscription they had set up, so we defaulted to the £15.99 rate. Netflix would only issue a refund if they first cancelled my wife's account, so we now can't sign in to Netflix on the Sky box as the account is cancelled, and can only seem to reactivate the account by paying for a new subscription.

Is there any way to continue our free Netflix offer through Sky without first having to pay Netflix for a subscription? Seems we are stuck..

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SPPinky wrote:

@best+of+the+best thank you. 

It was all straightforward from April until this week, but being given and then cancelling the UltraHD offer has messed everything up. I only wanted to cancel being sent a new Sky Q box as we do not work from home and did not think it was worth the effort to arrange to be able to swap our old box with the delivery of the new one.

Is there any way to continue our free Netflix offer through Sky without first having to pay Netflix for a subscription? Seems we are stuck..

Hi @SPPinky you might have to ring Sky and explain what has happened as you can't use the Netflix account you used to get the offer 

If you have a different email address what you have access to use that to continue your Netflix offer just tell the Sky advisor that you want to use a different email address so you can continue using the Netflix offer

If you already have the 4K UHD Sky Q box they would only send a new one out if you requested one that supports 4K UHD/HDR

Also cancelling the UHD for Netflix downgrades your Netflix to Basic one screen SD only 

I'm sure if you ring Sky and explain hopefully they should have you up and running.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion