Discussion topic: My Sky Q box keeps disconnecting from a third party router

This message was authored by NJS5 This message was authored by: NJS5

My Sky Q box keeps disconnecting from a third party router

6 months ago I switched from Sky Broadband to Be Fibre as they offered fibre to the home and speeds of up to 900mbs, which Sky couldn't match in my area. I connected the SkyQ box to the third party router at that time and for 6 months there was absolutely no issue at all.

My broadband contract with Sky did not finish until the beginning of this month so I continued paying it until expiry, even though I was using the third party provider, in order to avoid any penalty. Immediately after the Sky contract ended the Sky box started to disconnect from the third party router on a continuous basis. I keep going through the reset procedure, it connects and then less than one minute later it disconnects. This has been happening now every day since the expiry of my contract . Is Sky deliberately causing the box to disconnect to try and get me back as a broadband customer? I don't know but if Apple can slow down i phones it wouldn't surprise me. But unless I can get a solution to this then I am likely to cancel my TV contract also rather than revert back to Sky broadband. BTW I do not have this problem with any other devices connected to this third party router

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: My Sky Q box keeps disconnecting from a third party router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NJS5 wrote:

Is Sky deliberately causing the box to disconnect to try and get me back as a broadband customer? 

No.

Are you using any form of mesh network?  Disconnecting so quickly is usually related to that.

For a non-Sky ISP you can only use 2.4GHz - it's often a good idea to create 2 SSID's for each band (2.4+5) and ensure any steering is disabled as this could explain the disconnections.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
NJS5
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply. No, I am not using any other Mesh network.  However, just turned on 2.4Ghz hot spots on the Sky Box (was previously off ) but it is still disconnecting

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The hot spots won't help.  You need to check the admin config of the BeFibre router.

I would recommend splitting SSID's if possible.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
NJS5
Topic Author

Not entirely sure how to split the SSIDs on the router but will research it.Thanks. However, doesn't really explain why it worked perfectly for 6 months without any issues.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion