Discussion topic: Multiple sky Q mini box use

This message was authored by frank007 This message was authored by: frank007

Multiple sky Q mini box use

We have the main sky box in our front room, with the dish at the front of the house. Then we have X2 SkyQ mini boxes in upstairs rooms. All work fine and the set up is long standing. We have now set up camp as our main lounge in the back room, with a new TV but obviously need sky as the viewing platform. Another SkyQ mini box would be a good solution, but I read you can only have in operation at the same time your main Sky box and X2 mini boxes. Is it possible to have X3 SkyQ mini boxes running if the main Sky box is NOT being used as this would also work for us but it is key that the X3 mini boxes would run at the same time to meet the needs of the household. 

All help greatly appreciated

Thank you 

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Multiple sky Q mini box use

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@frank007 wrote:

Thank you for all the replies.

Moving the main Sky box in to the rear room would undoubtably be the 'best' option, but this is impossible in reality and certainly not cost friendly!

I am clear now that the x3 mini boxes will NOT operate together, but the use of Netflix and streaming platforms makes this far better, as with one of the systems employed to view such as Netflix the other two will work it seems.

Any time there is 'main Sky' conjestion, we can move in to the front room and make use of the primary Sky system to erradicate the issue.

Does this sound okay?

hi @frank007 

One thing I would like to mention, is that whilst some people find the use of apps on a SKY box convenient, we generally recommend using the TVs inbuilt apps (especially for your new TV) as these are usually optimised for the TV and in the case of UHD/HDR usually support Dolby Vision which is generally thought to be the better version. 

Even if you subscribe to Netfilix or Disney plus etc. via SKY you don't need a SKY box to watch them  

(Thus using a SKY mini for such apps may not be needed - although you can do so if you wish)

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@frank007 
You can have a maximum of 4 mini boxes loaned to you by Sky. You can watch Sky content on two minis and the main box at the same time. You may be able to use a 3rd mini box at the same time if you’re using it for one of the apps such as Netflix.

Be aware the original 1TB (non-UHD) Sky Q box only allows one mini to be in use. To check if you have the non UHD 1TB box check in:-
Home - Settings - System Info - Hardware Version
If it shows as 32Cxxx then you have a non UHD 1TB that only supports 1 active mini box.

All 2TBs and the UHD/HDR 1TB permit two mini boxes. Each mini box which is loaned to you may be subject to a one off upfront charge but you only need one Sky Q monthly Multiscreen subscription.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@frank007for clairity,  in addition to @Daniel0210 's post, leaving the main box off, unfortunately,  does not alter the maximum number of minis you can use 

P.S. Minis also do not support 4K (hd only) in case your new TV is 4K & you were looking to watch SKY in UHD

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Better to get the cables extended to the back room I reckon though that is rarely trivial.

frank007
Topic Author

@frank007for clairity,  in addition to @Daniel0210 's post, leaving the main box off, unfortunately,  does not alter the maximum number of minis you can use 

Now this is a concern as Sky today catagorically stated that it is the main box plus x2 minis on and working or x3 minis as long as the main box is not in use!

This is pivital to my decision on what to do.

@frank007 wrote:

Now this is a concern as Sky today catagorically stated that it is the main box plus x2 minis on and working or x3 minis as long as the main box is not in use!

This is pivital to my decision on what to do.

Sorry but that is just not possible due to the hardware

See also this from the T&Cs

Multiscreen: £15 per month. Requires Sky Q box, Sky Signature and Multiscreen subscriptions and Sky Q Mini(s) connected to home broadband. For optimal network performance we recommend connecting no more than four Sky Q Mini boxes. Watch on 2 Sky Q Mini boxes simultaneously with a Sky Q 2TB box and on one Sky Q Mini with a Sky Q 1TB box.

If you were told different then you could always try reporting it  regarding being given wrong information but it won't change the fact that you can't watch on three minis at the same time

The only time you can watch in more is if you are using one just for streaming apps such as Netflix or Disney + and that it was in use before starting the others 

Edit:  also if you read the Tech specs (under Core System) you will see  again they quote 2 minis (1 mini for the 1TB non UHD):

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-box-specs

frank007
Topic Author

Moving the main Sky box in to the rear room would undoubtably be the 'best' option, but this is impossible in reality and certainly not cost friendly!

I am clear now that the x3 mini boxes will NOT operate together, but the use of Netflix and streaming platforms makes this far better, as with one of the systems employed to view such as Netflix the other two will work it seems.

Any time there is 'main Sky' conjestion, we can move in to the front room and make use of the primary Sky system to erradicate the issue.

Does this sound okay?

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

@frank007 wrote:

Does this sound okay?

hi @frank007 

One thing I would like to mention, is that whilst some people find the use of apps on a SKY box convenient, we generally recommend using the TVs inbuilt apps (especially for your new TV) as these are usually optimised for the TV and in the case of UHD/HDR usually support Dolby Vision which is generally thought to be the better version. 

Even if you subscribe to Netfilix or Disney plus etc. via SKY you don't need a SKY box to watch them  

(Thus using a SKY mini for such apps may not be needed - although you can do so if you wish)

frank007
Topic Author

Yes the new TV is a 'Fire' TV so that makes sense.

Thank you

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Moving the box is definitely not impossible but depending on the house layout it's almost certainly costly as you say and/or disruptive 🙂

Sounds like your compromise could work though as long as everyone understands the limitations.

note I think you have to start the streaming app on a one of the first 2 minis BEFORE someone else turns theirs a third one on to watch live TV.

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

Just to point out that the TV apps can also support HDR10 and HDR10+, which the whole of AppleTV content has, and many other providers, thus you aren't forced to have a TV with Dolbly Vision only. Both DV and HDR10+ are equal in quality.

Most people will enjoy HDR10 without noticing any difference to DV.

This message was authored by salixrw This message was authored by: salixrw

I asked why i couldnt use 3 minis at same time today on chat after signing up for another 18 months and he said that if i get the Sky Q 2tb uhd box i can watch 3 minis at same time and i said i already have that and when he looked he said ,Oh yes you do so you should be able to wacth 3 so he telled me to ring tech to sort out  so this most be a recent change as ive had my box for years .

@salixrw wrote:

I asked why i couldnt use 3 minis at same time today on chat after signing up for another 18 months and he said that if i get the Sky Q 2tb uhd box i can watch 3 minis at same time and i said i already have that and when he looked he said ,Oh yes you do so you should be able to wacth 3 so he telled me to ring tech to sort out  so this most be a recent change as ive had my box for years .

Sorry but they have informed you incorrectly - the limit is 2 minis for SKY  content which is a limitation of the hardware 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@salixrw 

Not aware anything has changed…You can have a maximum of 4 mini boxes loaned to you by Sky. You can watch Sky content on two minis and the main box at the same time. You may be able to use a 3rd mini box at the same time if you’re using it for one of the apps such as Netflix.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by CMnamars This message was authored by: CMnamars

I have two minis and a main box. I'm getting an error when I try and watch the two minis together (the maximum number of sky Q mini boxes are in use)

Im over an hour on the phone today trying to get an answer. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion