Discussion topic: Mini boxes and UHD box

This message was authored by Hl1983 This message was authored by: Hl1983

Mini boxes and UHD box

So I've just today recieved my 2 mini boxes and realised after much faffing around I can only use them and my main box simultaneously if I have a newer main box, can someone tell me if I ring them to upgrade to a newer box (from what I can tell I need a UHD box?) Will I need to pay for the UHD or HD package too? 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Mini boxes and UHD box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hl1983 wrote:

So I've just today recieved my 2 mini boxes and realised after much faffing around I can only use them and my main box simultaneously if I have a newer main box, can someone tell me if I ring them to upgrade to a newer box (from what I can tell I need a UHD box?) Will I need to pay for the UHD or HD package too? 

hi @Hl1983 

I am not too clear from what you have written what you have and what is not working for you. 

If you have the old 1TB non UHD box then you can use only one mini box actively (as well as the main box) - this box is identified by a Hardware Version of 32Cxxx in :

Home - Settings - System Info - Hardware Version

If you have a 32Bxxx then it is UHD capable and should be able to support 2 minis active at any time (again as well as the main box) 

In either case we believe you may be able to use more than the 1 or 2 if the additional one is only being used for apps such as Netflix, disney + etc. but always a maximum of 2 for watching Satellite channels or recordings from the main box

You can have up to 4 on the account but the hardware limits the maximum in use - as above

If you have the non UHD main box you can upgrade to a UHD capable box but will need to call & there is a fee - this used to be £25 for a 1TB & £50 for a 2TB (both self install with £99 if it is an engineer install)  - I don;' know if these are the current charges

BTW Please note that the original 2TB Hardware version 32b0xx is UHD capable & can support 2 minis but is not HDR capable - the upgrade cost is usually based on an HDR box but stock control is not ideal and often people are sent a non HDR capable 2TB box - if you want an HDR box make such you specify it and that they record it - so if they do send a non HDR box by mistake you can refer them back to get it exchanged for an HDR box (although it can, sometimes,  be difficult for them to understand or admit the exchange was wrong)  

To avoid any upgrade problems then a 1TB UHD box is HDR capable  & does  support 2 minis and thus does not have the same  risk of getting a wrong box.

Hl1983
Topic Author

Thanks for the information but want I want to know is does a UHD box require  any additional subscriptions?

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hl1983 wrote:

Thanks for the information but want I want to know is does a UHD box require  any additional subscriptions?

Sorry I missed telling you that bit

No, there is no additional subscription for the box itself

The UHD Subscription is just for accesing UHD Content on the Satellite Channels and downloads (UHD is in addition to  HD ) - It also affects the 'level' of Netflix if you subscribe to Netflix through SKY  

Edit : Similar for HD 

Hl1983
Topic Author

Ok great thank you

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion