Discussion topic: Internet sky q disconnecting with lan cable

This message was authored by Eddy321 This message was authored by: Eddy321

Internet sky q disconnecting with lan cable

Hi, so I have a sky q box and I have sky hub , the sky q is connected via a cat6 lan cable and has been working fine until we had 2 consecutive power cuts last night,  I have done a full factory reset and this has not corrected the situation,  the sky hub is not losing connected to the Internet,  

In the settings view the network connection just drops and reconnects on its own ,  any ideas please 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Internet sky q disconnecting with lan cable

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eddy321 wrote:

Hi, so I have a sky q box and I have sky hub , the sky q is connected via a cat6 lan cable and has been working fine until we had 2 consecutive power cuts last night,  I have done a full factory reset and this has not corrected the situation,  the sky hub is not losing connected to the Internet,  

In the settings view the network connection just drops and reconnects on its own ,  any ideas please 

Hi @Eddy321 

On your main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to Sky Router.  Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
If you have no minis as soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.
Turning off the WiFi will force the Q box to use Ethernet.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Eddy321
Topic Author

Eddy321
Topic Author

Fantastic,  it seems to of stopped jumping on and off trying to view an app now let you know how it goes

Eddy321
Topic Author

Hi , nope looked all good , went to try apps would not stay connected,  , but I know the Internet is not dropping when using my phone on WiFi,  strange 

Eddy321
Topic Author

If I have had skq box for over 2 years , if it has a fault will sky replace it free of charge,  

@Eddy321 wrote:

Hi , nope looked all good , went to try apps would not stay connected,  , but I know the Internet is not dropping when using my phone on WiFi,  strange 

Full Ethernet is basically a positive connection @Eddy321 

If you have turned off the Q box WiFi (immediately following a Network Reset without any WPS) then if the Q box is disconnecting  it must be an issue with your Ethernet cable or Router.

Eddy321
Topic Author

I will double check the cable , once grand designs is over lol , 

So the steps to take are ,

1, do a reset and choose the wired connection, 

2, then go to 001 and turn off both wifi channels,  

And hopefully it should work,  

@Eddy321 wrote:

I will double check the cable , once grand designs is over lol , 

So the steps to take are ,

1, do a reset and choose the wired connection, 

2, then go to 001 and turn off both wifi channels,  

And hopefully it should work,  

Correct and remember do not carry out any WPS @Eddy321 

Eddy321
Topic Author

Hi found the issue,  the sky box is conflicting with another ip address,  so need to change one , thank you for your help, 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Eddy321 wrote:

Hi found the issue,  the sky box is conflicting with another ip address,  so need to change one , thank you for your help, 

They're both on static IPs, or has it somehow done that itself?

Eddy321
Topic Author

hi , I have set up a static ip address on a second hub to create a hotspot in my garden room , and it was working fine until the power cut ,  

The sky q hub keeps picking up the ip address of the second hub , so I need to push the second hub ip address out a bit to allow the sky q box to pick up the address .

This message was authored by Russ20 This message was authored by: Russ20

@Eddy321 Best approach would be to reserve the address in the Sky hub for your second hub. You can do this by logging into the hub and going to "Advanced" then "Lan IP Setup" and scroll down to Address Reservation. If you click add, it brings up a list of connected devices, so simply select the second hub. That will stop it assigning the same address to another device when it power cycles.

Eddy321
Topic Author

@Eddy321 wrote:

Hi , so got it working now , I had to restore the main house hub , then it left the ip address of the second hub alone , turned off dhcp on the second hub , all tickty boo , but I like the idea of static ip , cheers

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion