Discussion topic: Intermittent connectivity issues between Mini box and Sky Q

This message was authored by KellyW1979 This message was authored by: KellyW1979

Intermittent connectivity issues between Mini box and Sky Q

For over a week now my Mini box is persistently losing connection to my Sky Q

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Intermittent connectivity issues between Mini box and Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KellyW1979 wrote:

For over a week now my Mini box is persistently losing connection to my Sky Q

Hi @KellyW1979 

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the mini.
To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

Reboot the mini as above.
If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

If you are on Sky Broadband and the Router is nearer to the mini than the main box then you can try pressing WPS on the router instead of the main Q box. If you do this make sure you press the Sky router WPS button and not the router reset button.

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between your main Q box and the mini and you will need to contact Sky directly.

This message was authored by SMisra This message was authored by: SMisra

After struggling for months, if not years, with connectivity issues between the Sky Q Mini and Main boxes, I have finally managed to setup a stable and reliable solution. I live in a townhouse separated by concrete floors, so had issues in getting my WiFi signal reliably as well across all floors. Combine that with a busy London neighbourhood with too many WiFi routers and channels in use, I think signal clashing was and is a big problem. I had to go for a Mesh WiFi system - Linksys Velop in my case, with several nodes spread across the house. The Mesh nodes do result in a loss of speed, with none of the satellites able to serve anything better than 70 to 80 Mb, but the coverage is reliable and good - most of the time.

Sky Q also uses a mesh but channels and frequency are very limited, so the mesh is unable to self-correct. In my case, I had the Sky Q main box, 2 Sky Q mini boxes, and a Sky Q extender. I tried all options and had the Sky engineer in as well multiple times to resolve the daily multiple dropouts between the Main and Mini boxes. Frustratingly, the mini would return the status of being connected to the main box (both Sky Q and WiFi) but still show the 'No connection' error on the screen. I don't need to tell you how amazingly frustrating it has all been as you're likely facing the same problem if you're reading this article. No amount of fiddling - with power saving settings, wifi channels etc. was able to solve the problem.

The solution for me was connecting every Sky Q box, main and minis, via Ethernet cable to a Velop node, and disabling completely (via 001 Settings advanced options) the wifi signal of Sky Q - so basically making Sky Q believe it's communicating via Ethernet with each other and the Sky Q wifi mesh is disabled. This has worked like a dream - connection dropouts are gone, the setup is simple, and the lack of Sky Q mesh has reduced the signal collision at home and made my Velop mesh also more reliable. It's Nirvana!!

This message was authored by veryangry This message was authored by: veryangry

We had a power cut at the weekend & now I have the same problem. How do we get an engineer to attend. It is truly pathetic.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@veryangry wrote:

We had a power cut at the weekend & now I have the same problem. How do we get an engineer to attend. It is truly pathetic.

@veryangry have you tried what @oldfella suggested 

You can contact Sky by phone by dialling 150 if Sky is your phone provider or by following the link below
https://www.sky.com/help/home
scroll down to need more help click on this and you will find a phone number. If you are in ROI please change the flag at the bottom right to the ROI flag

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

I am reasonably tech savvy. I have wasted 4 hours on trying everything. It needs an engineer’s expertise to solve. We have thick walls etc & the set up by an engineer was tricky in the first place. It took me 2 hours on a call with a Sky adviser to convince him to get an engineer to call in the first place about 18 months ago.

I will try contact tomorrow - so thanks for that info.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion