Discussion topic: Hard disk failed replacement

This message was authored by TechGuy This message was authored by: TechGuy

Hard disk failed replacement

Hi, my mum has sky q and it has come up hard disk failure so she can't access her recordings (as you would expect) but it also keeps causing crashs, she has had the box for around 3 years and it's in constant use, rather than replacing the whole box could I just replace the hard drive as I have loads doing nothing and am more than competent enough (build my own pcs, and repair tech for a living) I need to know the legalities of this if anyone knows.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Hard disk failed replacement

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Not authorised use of the box unfortunately. Sky will swap the box pretty quickly though. Don't let her leave the viewing card in the old one and look out for power cable differences, don't assume you can just use the old power cable.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Sky Q boxes are loaned to you.

Attempting to swap out a hard drive would be against T&Cs.

Try doing a hard drive reset as described in the second page of this link.

https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-tv/sky-tv-q/fixing-sky-q/fixing-recordings-and-downloads/fix-a-pro...

If that does not resolve the problem, you can order a replacement Sky Q box at the end of that above linked article.  

When you request a replacement and do the courier swap of the old/ new boxes on the doorstep, make sure you retain your current Sky viewing card, as you will need that for your new replacement box.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream with two pucks (Former Sky Q and Sky+ customer), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@TechGuy wrote:

I need to know the legalities of this if anyone knows.

You can't change it.  The contract explicitly forbids it as all hardware is owned by Sky (thus why they will replace it foc)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion