Discussion topic: Films recorded - ending cut off

This message was authored by GrumpyOldMan2013 This message was authored by: GrumpyOldMan2013

Films recorded - ending cut off

I love Sky Q generally, but I am getting very frustrated with watching a film and being called away, so decide to watch the end of the film later by presing record. It records the film but generally misses off the last half hour so I don't get the end. 

It's happened on a few but mostly on Channel 5 Christmas films at the moment.  Is there a way of getting Sky Q to know when it actually ends. On an old box, we could add on an extra half hour, I vaguely remember to help with this exact issue, especially for Sports events that could run on but can't find anything on settings for Skyt Q.

Any help gratefully received....

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Films recorded - ending cut off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GrumpyOldMan2013 wrote:

I love Sky Q generally, but I am getting very frustrated with watching a film and being called away, so decide to watch the end of the film later by presing record. It records the film but generally misses off the last half hour so I don't get the end. 

It's happened on a few but mostly on Channel 5 Christmas films at the moment.  Is there a way of getting Sky Q to know when it actually ends. On an old box, we could add on an extra half hour, I vaguely remember to help with this exact issue, especially for Sports events that could run on but can't find anything on settings for Skyt Q.

Any help gratefully received....

Hi @GrumpyOldMan2013 

Afraid there is nothing you can do on the Q box.   The details of starting and stopping the recording time is totally down to the content broadcaster and the information is contained in the content.

The only thing I can suggest is to set the next program to record if you are in any doubt about the program overrunning.

One issue with channel 5 films is that they are sometimes broadcast in two parts and both must be set to record.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

If it is a Channel 5 film and when setting the recording you have offered the option of a series link then you do need to use this because what the channel does is to sometimes split the movie in two as there could be a news update in the middle so both parts need to be recorded otherwise you do only get the part of the film prior to the news update.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

Yes this will be down to the 'Entertainment News' loophole that Channel 5 and several others use to include more ad breaks in films. You need to make sure both parts of the film are set to record otherwise part of it will be missing. 

This message was authored by Mart55 This message was authored by: Mart55

• @GrumpyOldMan2013 I have the same problem, and it's nothing to do with ad breaks. In my case it happens when I record ITV's News at Ten. All too often the recording stops when there are a couple of minutes of the programme still being broadcast
This message was authored by Mart55 This message was authored by: Mart55

I'd never experienced this when recording on my previous Sky+ HD box. Is it a problem with only Sky Q? If so, why can't Sky overcome the problem?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mart55 wrote:

Is it a problem with only Sky Q? If so, why can't Sky overcome the problem?

This appears to be inherent to Q: given the system is now eight years old it seems unlikely that's going to be changed now.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion