Discussion topic: Feel let down with 2nd mini box

This message was authored by dsb1577 This message was authored by: dsb1577

Feel let down with 2nd mini box

Have a mini box in bedroom but following a kitchen refit we added a tv in that room so ordered a second mini box.  Disappointed to be charged £56 when we have been a customer for 30+ years but loyalty means nothing these days it seems.

When it arrives it won't connect and main sky q box had crossess against Watch Sky Go and Watch Mini Box as well as the apps missing..  It took an hour call with technical support, an engineer's visit and then a 4 four hour wait for main box to finally reactivate sky go and mini box.

But TV in kitchen wouldn't work as the mini box in bedroom was on! Wasn't told when we ordered it that we would only be able to watch one at a time otherwise we wouldn't have bothered.

At this point feel like sending the damn thing back for a refund as we haven't got want we thought we were paying for.

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Feel let down with 2nd mini box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dsb1577 wrote:

Wasn't told when we ordered it that we would only be able to watch one at a time otherwise we wouldn't have bothered.

@dsb1577 
You can have a maximum of 4 mini boxes loaned to you by Sky. You can watch Sky content on two minis and the main box at the same time. You may be able to use a 3rd mini box at the same time if you’re using it for one of the apps such as Netflix.

Be aware the original 1TB (non-UHD) Sky Q box only allows one mini to be in use. To check if you have the non UHD 1TB box check in:-
Home - Settings - System Info - Hardware Version
If it shows as 32Cxxx then you have a non UHD 1TB that only supports 1 active mini box.

All 2TBs and the UHD/HDR 1TB permit two mini boxes. Each mini box which is loaned to you may be subject to a one off upfront charge but you only need one Sky Q monthly Multiscreen subscription.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
dsb1577
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 thanks but as I said we weren't told this when we paid £56 so we haven't got what we were sold as we can't watch the tv in the kitchen if the bedroom box is on.

Might as well have saved the money and took the box up and down the stairs!

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @dsb1577   

Just in case you didn't know, the £56 (gone up from £50) is an admin fee and I doubt refundable. The solution (unfortunately more money) is to swap your 32C box for a 32B2 box. That used to be £50 admin fee but has probably gone up. Then you would have two live Mini boxes and as an added bonus, be able to record 6 programmes at once and 4K in the future.

I understand your frustration, but moving the upstairs box to the kitchen is the same as what you have now but without the hassle of moving the box. Just switch the upstairs box off.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@dsb1577 

The agent you arranged it with may not have known which main box you had and therefore its capabilities. You could call and ask for packaging to send it back and a refund or you coukd upgrade your main box. 

Sky customer since 2001
dsb1577
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 the adviser should know if they are selling us a product and it may not work like the customer is asking.  We weren't even warned it might not work or asked to check if our box was suitable before being asked to pay £56 immediately by card not even allowed to have that added on to our direct debit bill. 

@MightyQuinn yes I could just turn off up stairs but it's the principle of paying for some thing I've not received that's annoying us.

My contract has three weeks left, last week I would have renewed but not now feel completely ripped off by Sky just wanting more and more money and not getting a decent level of service. 

@dsb1577 

I agree with you. The agent should have been aware that when a customer orders an extra mini box that they need to confirm the customer has a main box capable of using it to its full potential. If you complain to Sky they can listen back on your original call and hear what was said and hopefully reimburse the £56.

Sky customer since 2001

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion