Discussion topic: Ethernet Cable Renewal

This message was authored by LletyRhys This message was authored by: LletyRhys

Ethernet Cable Renewal

I live on a farm with thick stone walls and poor signal. I have 3 sky Q boxes hard wired to boosters which have a really strong signal from the Sky broadband router.

unfortunately I have cut through the Ethernet cable connecting two boxes which needs to be replaced.

I have Sky Protect but they were useless and send me the standard 1 metre cable! How do I get an engineer out to replace what is approximately 25 metres of Ethernet cable?

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Ethernet Cable Renewal

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LletyRhys wrote:

I live on a farm with thick stone walls and poor signal. I have 3 sky Q boxes hard wired to boosters which have a really strong signal from the Sky broadband router.

unfortunately I have cut through the Ethernet cable connecting two boxes which needs to be replaced.

I have Sky Protect but they were useless and send me the standard 1 metre cable! How do I get an engineer out to replace what is approximately 25 metres of Ethernet cable?

Hi @LletyRhys 

I would think Sky are unlikely to replace Ethernet cables.  If it was originally all installed by a Sky Engineer then it could be possible but you would need to contact Sky directly.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@LletyRhys wrote:

I do not know about SKY Protect but ethernet cable is not part of a TV install & thus this would need to be done by yourself or a local  tradesperson

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@oldfella wrote:
If it was originally all installed by a Sky Engineer then it could be possible but you would need to contact Sky directly.

Indeed, but I would expect they would charge for such work.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Impressed if this was done for free by a Sky installer. Even more impressed if it was covered at all by Sky Protect.

If there's enough slack in the cable you could just bodge it back together with one of these

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CXSM315.html

Otherwise you could cut up the 1m cable and use 2 of those to patch it. Wouldn't be aesthetically ideal if it's visible from your favourite armchair of course.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@LletyRhys you could just purchase a new 25 m cable and replace the one that has been cut 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=25+m+etherneyt+cable&crid=3G3QNB3L9FG0N&sprefix=25+m+etherneyt+cable%2C...

other retailers are available  😀

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion