Discussion topic: Distorted sound

This message was authored by darylcork1991 This message was authored by: darylcork1991

Distorted sound

Recordings of HD and UHD seem to have sound at a higher tone than normal. It's like the recording is slightly fast. I've deleted and downloaded again but hasn't worked.

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Distorted sound

@darylcork1991 wrote:

Recordings of HD and UHD seem to have sound at a higher tone than normal. It's like the recording is slightly fast. I've deleted and downloaded again but hasn't worked.

Are these recordings of movies? Most films on Sky Cinema and all UK free to air channels are sped up from 24 to 25 frames per second to prevent judder due to the 50Hz broadcast frequency. 
The same film viewed on a streaming service will play at the correct speed and will sound slightly different. 

darylcork1991
Topic Author
This message was authored by darylcork1991 This message was authored by: darylcork1991

No, tv series recordings

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@darylcork1991 wrote:

No, tv series recordings

Are they American series? They too are often shot at 24fps and sped up - shows like Game of Thrones, The Last of Us, True Detective etc. 

Jodie Foster's voice sounded too squeaky when I watched an ep of True Detective Night Country on Sky so I tried watching the correct 24fps version and it's much more natural. 

darylcork1991
Topic Author

Yes. This is the first time it's happened in the 13 years I've had Sky.

@darylcork1991 wrote:

Yes. This is the first time it's happened in the 13 years I've had Sky.

It used to be the case that series which were sped up had the audio pitch-shifted to make voices sound less squeaky but this seems to be happening less these days. I certainly noticed the squeakiness on True Detective. 

I prefer to watch movies and series at their correct frame rate so that's partly why I got rid of Sky completely a few weeks ago and now get all my TV from other streamed sources. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion