Discussion topic: Connect mini box

This message was authored by jmsf78 This message was authored by: jmsf78

Connect mini box

Hi

I currently have SKY Q 2TB which is in my lounge and 1 mini box connected via ethernet. I live in a very old stone built property where the walls are a meter thick, so even though the Sky Q box is just over 1m away from the mini box, it had to be connected by drilling to the outside in each room , running ethernet cable to connect the mini box. 

My question is, my office is almost above the mini box, and was thinking on putting a mini box in my office for those boring days when I should be working. But I will not be able to connect to the main Sky Q box, as I am up a level and still have that 1m ish thick wall. Can another mini box piggy back off another mini box? Or is it an absolute must they all have to connect to main box?

Running more cable is not an option I want to go down as I do not want to drilling more holes internally or externally just for a mini box, neither is using the home eletric network due to way the electrics are in the property (where my office is located is deemed as the annex, which has it's own electric circuit, and fuse box but they feed off the main houses supply)

Own a character property they said, it would be fun they said.................groan

Thanks in advance.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Connect mini box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @jmsf78 

Another connected mini can be used to connect if it is nearer than the main Q box.

jmsf78
Topic Author

Thanks you @oldfella, that is what I was hoping would be the case. Gives me the option when I am ready to purchase another mini box. 

Thanks

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@jmsf78 wrote:

Thanks you @oldfella, that is what I was hoping would be the case. Gives me the option when I am ready to purchase another mini box. 

Thanks

Hi @jmsf78 

If you are on Sky Broadband minis can also connect by WiFi the Sky router.

Make sure the mini comes from Sky and bear in mind they are only rented and not purchased.

jmsf78
Topic Author

Hi @oldfella 

Yes, I have sky broadband and knew the whole rented agreement they have now.

Similar to the first mini box, where I have them or going to put them will all fall into the same issue, gotta go through thick walls. 

The one I may be putting in my office, will need to connect via the wifi coming off the mini box. That was one of the main reasons I got the mini box, put a TV and min box in kids play room and that then gives me wifi in this part of the house.

Before that, the sky broadband as it sat before multiroom was added only gave me wifi in the livingroom, where the router is located, and 2 bedrooms directly above it. The dining room that was next room off the the livingroom, zero signal, same as the other bedrooms and master bedroom had no signal ..............back to the thick wall scenario. 

Current set up to get wifi in all areas of house, 

Sky Q with mini box connected gives me wifi in annex part, a TP-Link access point connected to sky router via external routed ethernet cable, then back into the kitchen gives me wfi in all areas of house. Which I want so I can getting smart heating system installed. 

Our house is an old Yorkshire stone built, its long and has lovely thick walls and in someparts concrete ceilings and floors on the 2nd level, which as detailed above was a small headache to get around. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion