Discussion topic: Community fibre Linksys mesh question

This message was authored by metalmad1983 This message was authored by: metalmad1983

Community fibre Linksys mesh question

I have just got community fibre installed and want to buy more nodes to extend my coverage using the Linksys mx4200. I have seen that mesh networks don't work well with sky q. Can I wire all the boxes to the nodes and main box and then turn off the Wi-Fi on the sky boxes?

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Community fibre Linksys mesh question

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@metalmad1983 wrote:

Can I wire all the boxes to the nodes and main box and then turn off the Wi-Fi on the sky boxes?

Yes, that should be viable.

To switch off WiFi:

1) Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
2) Scroll down to highlight ‘Settings’ but DO NOT press select.
3) Press ‘001’.
4) Press ‘Select’

Then: Network -

- 2.4Ghz wireless - Off

- 5Ghz wireless - Off

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@metalmad1983 wrote:

Can I wire all the boxes to the nodes and main box and then turn off the Wi-Fi on the sky boxes?

Yes, that should be viable.

To switch off WiFi:

1) Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
2) Scroll down to highlight ‘Settings’ but DO NOT press select.
3) Press ‘001’.
4) Press ‘Select’

Then: Network -

- 2.4Ghz wireless - Off

- 5Ghz wireless - Off

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@metalmad1983 

I have Community Fibre and a couple of those Linksys nodes and they work well. I don't have Q or miniboxes but I run an ethernet cable from a node to my office PC and it's rock solid. Just make sure you set up enough nodes if your house is large or the walls are thick. 

metalmad1983
Topic Author
This message was authored by metalmad1983 This message was authored by: metalmad1983

Thank you for your reply. Follow up question. Should I reset my network when doing this? My main box was already wired to the router anyway or can I get away with just turning off the WiFi on the boxes? 

This message was authored by hammerjeff This message was authored by: hammerjeff

Sorry to drag this post up again community,

We've finally got rid of BT and their Smarthub 2.

Joined Community fibre and the speeds are amazing,symmetrical down and upload speeds.

Got their Linksys router and another 2  of them are placed around the house as boosters for coverage.

Two of them are right next door to our sky q main box and the one mini in a bedroom.

Question is can I Ethernet both Q boxes to the Linksys and turn off wifi on both boxes or is it not feasible and would create problems.

Not very tech savvy by the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

metalmad1983
Topic Author

Yes you can do that. I have three mini boxes connected to 3 linksys nodes and my main sky q box connected to the main router with WiFi turned off on all boxes and it works great. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@metalmad1983 wrote:

Yes you can do that. I have three mini boxes connected to 3 linksys nodes and my main sky q box connected to the main router with WiFi turned off on all boxes and it works great. 

Do those Linksys routers behave as a proper mesh? Or are they using ethernet backhaul? You said nodes and hanmerjeff said routers so not sure if you're talking about the same thing.

metalmad1983
Topic Author

Yes they are proper wireless mesh network. Every node/router is connected to a sky box with Ethernet with WiFi turned off on the sky box and it works perfectly. 

Ok so they're not routers. Ta.

This message was authored by hammerjeff This message was authored by: hammerjeff

@Chodley @metalmad1983 @@Told you I am not tech savvy🙄 I only said routers because the 2 acting as boosters are exactly the same product as the one being the router connected to the modem,I will refer to them as nodes from now on 

Sorry for being pedantic, just terminology matters when trying to analyse problems or potential solutions, to make sure we are talking about the same thing. e.g. you can actually use a bog standard router as a wifi hotspot but it won't behave the same way as a proper mesh.

@Chodley didn't take it as being pedantic at all mate,people like you are a lifesaver on here for people like me.

Sorry for the delay in responding but looking for some guidance on doing the above.

Do I start with the main box,connect the cable,do a network reset,choose wired connection and then it should just connect,then go into hidden settings and turn both WiFi channels off and repeat the process on the mini box or is it something different.

Many thanks 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion