Discussion topic: Being charged for ‘returned’ equipment

This message was authored by Geo123456 This message was authored by: Geo123456

Being charged for ‘returned’ equipment

Hi,

I recently moved out of my old property after being a sky customer for 10+ years. We are temporarily living with my mother in law while we find a new property so we had to stop our sky account, and as we were late to contact sky there was a few weeks left on our contract before we moved out.

As a courtesy to the people who bought our house we left them the equipment so that they still had TV to watch while they sorted their own out, as we had no use for it . After receiving email about returns packaging being sent out I contacted them and they agreed to send it back, which they confirmed that they did at the beginning of January.

I have now received an email stating I will be charged the maximum charges for non return of equipment . There is no way of me knowing for sure if they sent it back (why wouldn't they?) or if it has been lost/delayed at the other end.  As a loyal customer who has spent tens of thousands with you over the years I would be very unlikely to return if this charge went through.

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: Being charged for ‘returned’ equipment

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Geo123456   You are not talking to Sky, this is a community of customers.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Geo123456 wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved out of my old property after being a sky customer for 10+ years. We are temporarily living with my mother in law while we find a new property so we had to stop our sky account, and as we were late to contact sky there was a few weeks left on our contract before we moved out.

As a courtesy to the people who bought our house we left them the equipment so that they still had TV to watch while they sorted their own out, as we had no use for it . After receiving email about returns packaging being sent out I contacted them and they agreed to send it back, which they confirmed that they did at the beginning of January.

I have now received an email stating I will be charged the maximum charges for non return of equipment . There is no way of me knowing for sure if they sent it back (why wouldn't they?) or if it has been lost/delayed at the other end.  As a loyal customer who has spent tens of thousands with you over the years I would be very unlikely to return if this charge went through.

Unfortunately all Sky Q equipment remains the property of Sky and is merely loaned to you for the duration of your contract. Whilst it may have been kind of you to leave the equipment for your property buyers to use, it does in fact go against the terms & conditions of your contract. They may have returned the hardware as requested but Sky's hardware returns procedures are notoriously problematic with regular instances of returns not being properly logged. It is up to you, the original customer, to make note of the returns tracking information, receive a proof of posting and make sure the hardware is received by Unipart. Without this information it will be at Sky's discretion as to whether or not you will be charged the full non-return fee. 

All you can do really is ring Sky and see what they say. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Geo123456 

You should contact the new occupants again and see if they obtained proof of posting the equipment back. If they haven't I'm afraid the charges are unlikely to be removed as it is your responsibility as account holder to return all loaned equipment at the termination of the subscription. Hopefully your generosity hasn't cost you. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion