Discussion topic: Sky Protect an Honest Review

This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

Sky Protect an Honest Review

Admittedly, as with all new Sky technology there are teething issues.  In particular for me the doorbell had battery problems.

As for the contact sensors the small sticky edge I've done away with and used some extra strength (holds up to 10kg) it has a red label but I won't mention the name because I think that's against the rules. Use the full flat edge of the smaller of the two parts of the contact sensor for a much stronger bond. Particularly on doors that are constantly in use.  Once I did this in all my contact sensors they are much more stable. The environmental (heat flood and humidity) sensors work a charm for me just be sure to set the config appropriately depending on where you're putting them.  The indoor camera with the USB dongle controls everything with the exception of the door and chime (they communicate directly with each other directly first then onto the indoor camera feeding back info)

It's not possible to have two door video bells on the same system but then again I can't really see a use case for this. I'm not sure about an additional charm either as the door bell and charm are synced with each other. Although you can amend the tune and volume significantly.

Currently I have:

1 x Video door bell

1 x Charm

3 x motion sensors covering most likely entry points down stairs rooms.

6 x contact sensor pairs again covering all major entry points and one outside "side 6ft" gate which has been waterproofed using a clear product again I won't mention the name of.  It's also held in place with an alternative product but will still allow for a battery change or resych. But also keep it waterproof.

2 x indoor cameras. One with the USB dongle which is responsible for managing and controlling alerts and sits in my office in case I have an epileptic fit (I work from home and the wife can keep an eye on me during the day as my fits can require paramedic attendance). The second camera has been waterproofed and is use outside and covers the side of the property not covered by the video doorbell.

The app alerts are instant, I've had no further issues and the additional kit has set us at ease as we have had some issues with scroats from another neighbourhood and petty theft, hiding in people's back gardens etc. Touch wood everything is working perfectly and it's good to see everything working from a single app.  It's a shame there is no interaction between Q, Glass or Stream. And it's also a shame so many people have struggled with it.  The system has its quirks but I feel I'm getting the best out of mine now with good battery life.

I also managed to obtain additional stickers.  To ensure people know they are being filmed.

I'm pleased with the hardware and the support has been excellent.

I've attached my config as it is. I know people have downplayed this as not a reliable or "serious" security system" but so far, for the money and the fact that I'm considered a vulnerable customer I'm really pleased with it.

Note the indoor office cam needs moving up to the top of the wall. I'm just waiting for the correct narrow trunking to arrive.

Protect.png

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.

All Replies

Chimpishuk
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chimpishuk This message was authored by: Chimpishuk

Re: Sky Protect an Honest Review

Heres an example of the contact censors.  Don't use the thin scrips - they're too fragile particularly with our french doors for example.  The doors are constantly being opened and closed at the moment as we have a puppy.  The vibration has made them fall off.  The picture with the red outline is the standard strip and the picture with the green highlights is basically imagine much stronger double sided tape has a much larger surface area to stick against a surface.  It's available in hardware stores and it's red on the outside and grey on the inside.  

Hope this hepls someone!

c1.jpgc2.jpg

SKY Gigafast | SKY Router SR203 | Sky WiFi Booster 4 | SKY Stream | SKY Stream Puck x3 | SKY Protect Insurance | SKY Protect Indoor Camera X2 | SKY Protect Motion Sensor X3 | Sky Protect Contact Sensors X6 | SKY Environment Sensors X3 | TV LG C2 65 OLED | TV Samsung 43 QLED | TV Philips 65 LED Android TV with integrated Hue | Google NEST Paired Speakers (Room filling) | Google NEST External Camera x2 with anti-theft | Google NEST Thermostat GEN v3 X2 | Google NEST Hub GEN v2 X2 Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Hub Max Wall Mounted with trunking | Google NEST Doorbell | Google NEST Aware Plus | Google Pixel v7 Pro | Google One Subscription | Philips Hue Bridge | Philips Hue White & Colour Ambience bulbs various locations | Philips Hue Switches X4 | Philips Hue Light Strips X 2 | Philips Hue Signe Gradient Table Lamp X2 | Apple iPad Pro M2 | Apple Mac Mini M1 | Apple Macbook Air M2 | XBOX Series X | PS5 | Switch OLED | CAT6 Cabling throughout. | FTTP openreach | Virgin Cable to the door | Whippet puppy x 1.
Chimpishuk
Topic Author

Guess my picture broke the rules on the first pic.  Here it is again edited. 

Protect.png

This message was authored by Nck1974 This message was authored by: Nck1974

Hi, how did you get more motion sensors please ? 

Chimpishuk
Topic Author

By complaining a LOT.  About poor customer service.  

This message was authored by rosco2278 This message was authored by: rosco2278

I'm in the process of sending all this kit back and trying to cancel my policy. The kit is utter garbage, hasn't worked since day one, even after getting numerous replacements sent out. The doorbell goes off at random intervals (without even being pressed of which I can confirm as I have a more reliable Blink camera covering that area), even in the middle of the night and needs charged about every 4 days. Skys solutions to this were laughable, the best one being to put the chime unit behind my front door, next to the doorbell and run an ethernet cable from it, to my router (which is in another part of the house). 

If for any reason I lose wifi, even for a few seconds , the whole system needs reset and occasionally even needs completely reconfigured. 

Sorry Sky. You failed at this one. 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@rosco2278 wrote:

I'm in the process of sending all this kit back and trying to cancel my policy. The kit is utter garbage, hasn't worked since day one, even after getting numerous replacements sent out. The doorbell goes off at random intervals (without even being pressed of which I can confirm as I have a more reliable Blink camera covering that area), even in the middle of the night and needs charged about every 4 days. Skys solutions to this were laughable, the best one being to put the chime unit behind my front door, next to the doorbell and run an ethernet cable from it, to my router (which is in another part of the house). 

If for any reason I lose wifi, even for a few seconds , the whole system needs reset and occasionally even needs completely reconfigured. 

Sorry Sky. You failed at this one. 

Shame you have had a poor experience.

Have had the kit since August and had no ongoing issues with it.

Only issues were the Android 14 Pixel doorbell blank screen live view app issue (some other phones also suffered it) and a login issue with the app that most customers had, all though solved quickly by Sky.

Works fine within the house with multiple phones/tablets and remotely (away from house) for viewing the cameras and sensors, plus all the alerts.

Doorbell has been faultless for records and it's bell used very regularly most days.

Have found the doorbell needs charging about 30 days, from what I would say is regular use.

The charge does need a good 8 hours of charge, maybe could be quicker. But doing it overnight means not really missing any action.

Did tweak the recording setting and the zone at first week of setup, to be more accurate and feel that has provided a good charge regime.

Found the leak sensors to be accuractly sensitive for water/dampness and the temperature accurate. Not sure about the humidity, it seems over sensitive, but two sensors being in a bathroom and kitchen is probably not a good place for humidity monitoring, so have set them to 100%, so they do not alert for humidity, but still work perfectly for leaks and temperature.

Not had any issues at all with the door sensors or contact sensor and the indoor camera and it's bridge has performed without issue.

Do like that when your wifi resets or short broadband downtimes, all the kit comes back online fine, not something Incan say with some other IOT kit I have had in the past.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Jellybabes18 This message was authored by: Jellybabes18

Try making  a claim its a joke kitchen roof dropped down sent builders their own to assess passed it ghen stopped it before it even got started. Its so dangerous reviewing it again.

Nothing to review ceiling dropped down.

I have vhildren in the house one non verbal autistic they don't give s dam.

Going to ombudsman final straw.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion