Discussion topic: making locals calls while in canada

This message was authored by Bill+again This message was authored by: Bill+again

making locals calls while in canada

I amgoingto canada in july for 3 weeksand wish to use my phone out there. Can someone please simply answer the following questions

1.  Cani use it and how much

2. How much per day

3. can i phone/text uk and what does it cost

4. can i phone local canadian numbers and cost

5. does it automatically stop on returning to uk

its allvery confusing going through the "help" pages

thank you

confused

Best Answers
This message was authored by Ollos123 This message was authored by: Ollos123 Answer

Re: making locals calls while in canada

Posted by a Sky employee

@Bill+again 

1. Roaming in Canada will cost you £2 per day.  For that you get access to your home allowance(s).  Any data you use will come out of your UK Data plan.  You can roll data from your Piggybank for free if you need more data, the same as you can in the UK.  If you have Unlimited Calls & Texts then any calls / SMS to UK destinations will be includive, as they are in the UK.  If you don't have Unlimited Calls & Texts then it'll cost you £0.10 per call / SMS

2. See 1

3. See 1

4. Calls to a Canadian number would cost you £1.75pm in addition to the £2 per day fee.  If you were to add International Saver to your plan (£3 per month) then calls to Canadian numbers would cost you £0.05pm

5. Yes

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bill+again  All calls from a UK mobile number to a Canadian number even when in Canada  would be classed as international calls, not local, please see this link for charges https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-mobile-roaming-destinations-and-charges

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Bill+again 

As @GD1 indicates, typically you need a SIM provided by a telco located within the country you are in to be able to take advantage of 'local' rates. 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Bill+again
Topic Author
This message was authored by Bill+again This message was authored by: Bill+again

Thank you

So what I got from that was

Price to ring number in canada is same as if I rang from here.

Get a local sim only for Canada calls

So what are answes  to questions 1, 2, 3 & 5 ?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Bill+again  Please refer to the link I posted for answers to the other questions.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Ollos123 This message was authored by: Ollos123 Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

@Bill+again 

1. Roaming in Canada will cost you £2 per day.  For that you get access to your home allowance(s).  Any data you use will come out of your UK Data plan.  You can roll data from your Piggybank for free if you need more data, the same as you can in the UK.  If you have Unlimited Calls & Texts then any calls / SMS to UK destinations will be includive, as they are in the UK.  If you don't have Unlimited Calls & Texts then it'll cost you £0.10 per call / SMS

2. See 1

3. See 1

4. Calls to a Canadian number would cost you £1.75pm in addition to the £2 per day fee.  If you were to add International Saver to your plan (£3 per month) then calls to Canadian numbers would cost you £0.05pm

5. Yes

This message was authored by Carly01 This message was authored by: Carly01

You can use your data over there, so it costs the amount what you pay each month in the UK plus an extra £2 a day for data roaming whilst there. My daughter is using the same method while she is in canada. Try to hook up to WiFi when over there then you won't have the £2 charge. It only activates when you use your data and not WiFi.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion