Discussion topic: New number in Sim only deal being bombarded with scam calls

This message was authored by Ann+Alternative This message was authored by: Ann+Alternative

New number in Sim only deal being bombarded with scam calls

Just taken out a new Sim only deal with Sky.  Activated the card and within 1 hour began receiving scam calls and messages.  I have yet to make a call and have issued the number to no-one.  As far as I am concerned the number is useless.  Can I cancel the contract even though the sim has been activated.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: New number in Sim only deal being bombarded with scam calls

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You don't need to cancel the entire contract due to this but if you call Sky and explain what has happened then they might cancel this sim and order you a replacement which will come with a different number. 150 is the free number to use to contact Sky on.

As all numbers are recycled this does happen as there are only so many of them out there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by twilight+princess This message was authored by: twilight+princess

It's possible the new number was previously used by another customer & now the number is active again you're receiving the spam previously sent to that number.

Virginia.
Diamond Sky VIP member.
Ann+Alternative
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ann+Alternative This message was authored by: Ann+Alternative

@twilight+princess thank you for the response and opinion.  You are certainly correct and I must say the previous 'owner' must have had a very difficult lifestyle.  Sky have sorted my situation by issuing another SIM with a brand new number.  I must say that the level of customer service now offered by SKY is fantastic.  I have been a customer before and it is unrecognizable now.  

This message was authored by twilight+princess This message was authored by: twilight+princess

@Ann+Alternative You're welcome. Hopefully the new number will be better.

Virginia.
Diamond Sky VIP member.
This message was authored by georgygirl This message was authored by: georgygirl

I too have had this problem!

I got a new sky SIM yesterday along with its incumbent number, I have provided them with my PAC code so that I can keep my old number, that I have had for many years, but over the past day and night I have had texts telling me my Amazon account has being hacked and somebody in Swindon is ordering things and while trying to sleep this morning (after being out for the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 semi final match) I have been getting Klarna codes, who I obviously haven't dealt with overnight, or indeed in my recent memory!

Something stinks here, I've not given out this new number to anyone because I'm waiting for my old one to replace it. 😔

What is going on? 

Susan Lawn
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@georgygirl 

All numbers across all networks are recycled so those texts probably refer to whoever had the number before you. 

I take it your number hasn't transferred yet ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by georgygirl This message was authored by: georgygirl

No not yet. 

Can't come soon enough. 

I have informed Sky of the problems with this number. 

Hopefully they will investigate before handing it to someone else. 

Susan Lawn

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion