Discussion topic: Iphone 13 hardware issue

This message was authored by calyxa This message was authored by: calyxa

Iphone 13 hardware issue

HI

I have a hardware issue with my Iphone 13 - I cannot hear any calls unless its on loudspeaker, I have spoken to Apple and they couldnt fix it and kindly arranged a trip to the genius bar yesterday - its definitly a hardware fault (I have the report) but because its over 12 months old its outside of the Apple warranty but they advised under UK consumer law it should be replaced (as a repair would be cost prohibitive) - I called Sky earlier and was told UK consumer law didnt cover it! I was gob smacked - the phone is 18 months old and I am stll paying for it - I cant be without a phone as I work from home - can anyone help?

TIA

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Re: Iphone 13 hardware issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@calyxa What apple told you is correct with regards to consumer law, however it's a little bit more complicated than just calling Sky, as your phone is over 6 months old you would have to prove the fault was there when you received the phone even though it's taken a while to affect the device, if the Apple report states that then Sky have to either repair or replace the device.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

calyxa wrote:

I cant be without a phone as I work from home - can anyone help?

This is the problem with consumer contracts.  Sky will almost certainly want you to return the phone for inspection before agreeing to any repair or replacement.  They do not have to provide a phone for you to use in the meantime.

Personally, I doubt a repair is 'cost prohibitive'.

In regards to consumer law the burden is on you to prove the product was faulty at the time it was delivered to you.  (Which can be difficult)   You'll need a written an expert report, opinion or evidence of common defects across the product range.

Apple products have a 1 year warranty: https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/warranty/products/uk-ireland-universal-warranty.html

The Sky repair/replace process is here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-mobile-phone-or-tablet-repairs

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
calyxa
Topic Author

correct - but it doesnt have to be faulty when you get it  - it must be fit for purpose , for example you can buy a table and chairs, perfectly fine for a couple of years, then the finish of the table comes off, it hasnt lasted as long as reasonably expected and that would be covered by the  consumer law also - just got advice from a legal expert!

Sure, but they're not just going to send you a 'new' phone.

Some more info here: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy

It would be a reasonable expectation for the phone to last more than 18 months...

calyxa
Topic Author

Thanks for that - interesting read, I am only going on what the Apple tech team advised - its a hardware issue so the whle display needs to be replaced circa £300 + vat, they gave me the info and that was what was suggested!

Not sure why the screen would need replacing, AIUI it's the front camera module (which contains a speaker too) would only need replacing.

But obviously that's why the expert opinion is required.

calyxa
Topic Author

i dont know - the tech chap at Apple said the whole front display - hes the expert not me!

@calyxa wrote:

i dont know - the tech chap at Apple said the whole front display - hes the expert not me!

...which is one of the reasons Sky will want to inspect it to validate any such claim.  (They may disagree with the assessment)

@calyxa wrote:

@calyxa They are sales people before they are repair experts, independent repair centres will charge around £99 to replace the faulty earpiece speaker and it doesn't require the front display to be replaced unless that is damaged as well.

Saying it's a cost prohibitive repair is just a way of trying to sell you a new one.

calyxa
Topic Author

he literally ran a load of tests, i dont know what the fault is but its the speaker at the top - looks integrated to me!

@calyxa wrote:

he literally ran a load of tests, i dont know what the fault is but its the speaker at the top - looks integrated to me!

@calyxa The report they gave you should tell you exactly what they found to be wrong, the price I quoted is based on a Google search and quotes from several independent repair centres as well as my local centre who could do the repair within an hour, all stated the front display unit would not need replacing unless it was damaged.

This message was authored by Hayley9711 This message was authored by: Hayley9711

@calyxa did you get this resolved? I'm currently in the same situation with an iPad, less than 2 years old. Apple have diagnosed it as a fault, no misuse to the device found, no physical damage etc.

sky are telling me it's out of warranty but under consumer rights law, the product has to last "a reasonable length of time" so I'm going to argue that angle.

This message was authored by Kc8 This message was authored by: Kc8

Hi 

did you get anywhere with this I have the same issue with my phone just out of warranty and apple said sky should fix it under consumer law. Any advise would be great 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion